• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Painting a property line fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucbren

What is the name of your state? Oregon. We live in a 3 year old subdivision. Our neighbors back yard backs up to our side/front yard. Our neighbors built a fence directly on the property line, separating our side/front yard from their back yard. Now they want to paint the fence that is facing in our property area, which would extend from the front of our property line, all the way to our back gate. The fence is only 5 feet from our house. Do they own the entire fence; both sides? Do they have the right to come on to our property and paint the fence...becasue it is exactly on the property line. In these newer subdivions, it's entirely common for one household to only end up building 1/2 of the fence, as adjacent homes may have already built part of the fence on the property line. So, should I only be staining/painting 1/2 of my fence since that's all I paid for?

HomeGuru

lucbren said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon. We live in a 3 year old subdivision. Our neighbors back yard backs up to our side/front yard. Our neighbors built a fence directly on the property line, separating our side/front yard from their back yard. Now they want to paint the fence that is facing in our property area, which would extend from the front of our property line, all the way to our back gate. The fence is only 5 feet from our house. Do they own the entire fence; both sides?

**A: no, if the fence is on the property line it is said to be stradled and ownership of the fence belongs to the 2 property owners.
Do they have the right to come on to our property and paint the fence...becasue it is exactly on the property line.

**A: yes and no.
In these newer subdivions, it's entirely common for one household to only end up building 1/2 of the fence, as adjacent homes may have already built part of the fence on the property line. So, should I only be staining/painting 1/2 of my fence since that's all I paid for?
**A: yes, that makes sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">