• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long do creditors have??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

btrsweet07

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois
How long do creditors have to file a claim against an estate? My mother passed away in September of 2000. My brother (executor) and his attorney just filed probate a month ago. My sister and I were in the process of buying my brother out of his portion of the house that was left to us, and were only waiting for a closing date when my brother's attorney decided that she needed to file probate. Now she is saying that we have to wait until probate is finished before we can close on this house. I spoke to an attorney who specializes in probate who stated that it doesn't matter whether probate was filed or not, and that the creditors (there are none by the way) only have 2 years from the time of death, whether they knew of the death or not, to file a claim for moneys owed.
The attorney that my brother is using does not specialize in probate, so I'm needing to find some documentation that would be helpful to get the closing finished so that we don't have to wait the 6 months for probate to close.
I'm also under the impression that we can go ahead and close on the house even though the estate is now in probate? If this is true as well, can someone provide some links or case law that I can use?
My sister and myself are very frustrated at the turn of events that have just occurred, and are trying to arm ourselves with information so that we can proceed with our lives.
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Kindest regards,
Jenni

Dandy Don

The complication here is that you all waited so long to file probate. The time limit starts from the time probate begins, so creditors can be notified properly.

B

btrsweet07

so there is no way for my sister and I to close on this house until probate is completed?

Dandy Don

Why are you in a hurry to get this done? You should know that when dealing with real estate, there are always complications. What does it matter if it is done now or 6 months from now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">