• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private School Tuition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ShalomSteph

What is the name of your state?undefined Kansas

My children, ages 13 and 10, just received generous scholarships to a private (Jewish) day school. The school is a 45 minute drive from my house, and my present workplace is an additional 45 minutes from there. So, obviously, I will have to get a job closer to their school.

I am probably going to have to take a pay cut, and I will also be paying tuition for private school. the kids will benefit enormously from private school, so I am willing to make appropriate sacrifices to do this. However, there is only so much that I can do. Just as a history, I have been divorced for eight years and have NEVER requested an increase in child support, even though I have been entitled to two. I have also never made him pay half of the medical bills because it requires taking him to small claims court, and he still doesn't pay it. My ex is already fussing because it is a Jewish school, and he claims that as a Jehovah's Witness, it is against his religion to pay for Jewish school or any type of higher education later.

I would like to ask for an increase in child support to help fill the gap a little between taking a decrease in pay and the private school tuition. I feel like I am always making the sacrifices for the kids while he complains and accuses. So although I would likely get the increase, is it worth it in the long run, or should I just grit my teeth and continue to do things on my own?

Thanks, Steph

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A voluntary decrease in income doesn't generally warrant a modification in support. Nor does one parent deciding to send the kids to private school. In all honesty, you may well find yourself spending a load of money with no result.

S

ShalomSteph

It's not really a voluntary reduction in pay. I am trying very hard to find something without a pay cut, but I am doing it BECAUSE the kids received $20,000 in scholarships, and they will also be more likely to receive college scholarships down the road. It is completely to benefit the kids-not me. If I keep my current job, I will be back about $375 a month in driving expenses, not to mention being away from the kids even longer because of the driving.
I guess I am frustrated because he is uninvolved in general and I have always made sacrifices, both emotional and financial, to make sure that the kids have every opportunity available to them, while he does nothing.
I think he should be helping more, is all. He can afford to live in a very expensive area and makes sure that he has his luxuries, but criticizes me for working too many hours, for living in a "bad" area, and because the the kids wear hand me downs. I do not mismanage my money, but I also do not earn a lot, and it seems shameful that we are eligible (but not receiving) food stamps while he lives so well.

M

marla1971

duh!!!

If you qualify for foodstamps why don't you take advantage of them, that is what they are for!!!

misslawli

file anyway

I may get reamed for this but, Since you have "been entitled" to two increases, and haven't file I would say it is time. ;) the school shouldn't be an issue, file see what happens, if you get a decent increase, send them to the school. ;) I wouldn't worry about what was going on with the school until after the modification hearing. ;) wink, wink

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
A modification will probably NOT be taken care of before school starts. Just as an FYI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">