• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No notice of will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bjmonkey

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin .....My husbands father died in January of 2003. Since then his step mom has not told any of his father's children about a will or probate or anything. My husband at first didn't care about what was or was not left to him but now we are finding out things about his step mom and would like to know if everything was left to her. Shouldn't we have heard by now if there was a will and who was named in it? Or if anything was left to our children, his grandchildren. The step mom is now remarrying soon and we would like to know if there is anything we should do about the will or probate before this happens. I've looked at the circuit court access website and there is not mention of an estate case for his dad.

Dandy Don

Circuit court may not necessarily have been the place to check. You need to contact the county clerk's office (who might have probate records) or the probate court itself to find out if anything has been filed. You also need to find out by asking someone at the courthouse what is the minimum amount of estate value required for your county before a probate case is filed. Your father-in-law's estate may not have added up to the minimum amount, in which case no probate filing was needed.

After checking at the courthouse your husband needs to ask the stepmother straight out whether dad left a will or not. If he thinks his father had substantial assets, then if his wife doesn't open up a probate then your husband will need to hire his own probate attorney to get probate started--otherwise stepmom will keep everything for herself and your husband and his siblings will not get what they are entitled to.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">