• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm not paying my parking ticket & I'm moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hawkinSD

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I'm a CA resident, and I'm planning on ignoring a very expensive parking ticket I just received here because I'm moving to New Jersey at the end of the summer & I'll be a resident there for at least three years.

Question #1: will i have any problem registering my car (the one cited) in NJ?
Question #2: will i have any problem getting a NJ driver's license?
Question #3: will i have any problem registering my wife's car in NJ? (the back of my ticket says it "constitutes a lien on ANY vehicle you own")
Question #4: will my wife have any problem getting a NJ driver's license?
Question #5: if CA still comes after me in NJ (even via NJ DOT) is that any cause for alarm? (i.e., will i get arrested? etc.)
Question #6: i will be visiting CA on business during my three years away, but driving rental cars. am i safe if i'm carrying a NJ license?
Question #7: assuming i'm able to wait this thing out, how long before the ticket is wiped from the books in CA?

thanks!
hawkinSD

P

Peety

According to another thread here on this forum, some states turn over unpaid fines (and any additional fees for non payments) to collection agencies. This would adversely affect both your credit and your wifes credit report.

A lein means the property cannot be released from your responsibility until the lein is satisfied. Selling it, or even transfering ownership as a gift or donation, won't happen until the leins are taken care of. If you sell it privately, they will have problems and come back after you. If you try to sell it to an auto dealer they should check the history before issuing a check, or when they find out later, they'll add a ballon payment (due & payable NOW) to your new car, if your old one is used for a trade-in. If you just give it to someone else, or sell it to them and they agree not to register it .... you remain responsible for all accidents, moving violations, parking tickets, and failure(s) to register, that are related to that vehicle (as well as the penalties for non-payment of those).

Non-payment of any CVC means a bench warrant will be issued. That could easily pose a problem if you were to get pulled over while re-visiting CA. The longer a bench warrant sits the larger the fine. Would it your ability or your wifes ability to aquire a license in another state? Gworsh, I don't know Mickey.

The financial and legal difficulties you will set yourself up for down the road by trying to run away from your current financial responsibilities far outweigh the penalties you currently face.

Pay the tickets.

K

krispenstpeter

Let me get this straight. You have violated a local ordinance and are planning on exacerbating the situation by fleeing the jurisdiction to avoid the penalty.

Then, you come to a legal advice board looking for validation that this is an acceptable behavior and expect someone here to advise you?

Let me put this as simple as I can....

PISS OFF!

H

hawkinSD

Let me get this straight. You have violated a local ordinance and are planning on exacerbating the situation by fleeing the jurisdiction to avoid the penalty.

Then, you come to a legal advice board looking for validation that this is an acceptable behavior and expect someone here to advise you?

Let me put this as simple as I can....

PISS OFF!

oh please, uh...krispenstpeter, is it? wow...
my moving date was scheduled well before the ticket; i'm not leaving because of the ticket. and i'm not looking for "validation"...just what my options are.
if you're not interested in offering advice, fine. don't. (wasn't that easy?)
ok, now you can go piss off as well.
sheesh.

CdwJava

""""Question #1: will i have any problem registering my car (the one cited) in NJ?"

That depends if they check with CA for your registration status here. If you fail to pay the ticket, a lien will be placed on the vehicle's registration.

""""Question #2: will i have any problem getting a NJ driver's license?"

Probably not due to a CA parking ticket.

""""Question #3: will i have any problem registering my wife's car in NJ? (the back of my ticket says it "constitutes a lien on ANY vehicle you own")"

I doubt it.

""""Question #4: will my wife have any problem getting a NJ driver's license?"

Not unless she's going to ignore a problem of her own.

""""Question #5: if CA still comes after me in NJ (even via NJ DOT) is that any cause for alarm? (i.e., will i get arrested? etc.)"

I can't imagine anyone wanting to extradite you for a parking infraction! But, you may have the registration witheld on your vehicle, AND the account COULD go to collections. If it goes to collections, expect to pay hundreds of dollars in added fines AND possibly have a hit in your credit history that will haunt you for years.

""""Question #6: i will be visiting CA on business during my three years away, but driving rental cars. am i safe if i'm carrying a NJ license?"

Probably. If this "parking ticket" was issued to you personally, then you may find yourself arrested on a bench warrant. if it was simply left on your windshield, then your license status will probably remain unaffected.

""""Question #7: assuming i'm able to wait this thing out, how long before the ticket is wiped from the books in CA?"

Never. Unless the agency where the cite was issued purges it themselves. But the lien will remain on the vehicle registration records in CA for a number of years ... I believe (but may be wrong) that it would be purged from DMV after either 3 or 5 years. But! The collection account could remain ... and the city that issued the cite can still try and come after you.

If you already have bad credit and it doesn;t matter if you have one more open collections account - by all means, ignore this. If you don't want to pay a lot of money in the end, risk the impounding of your vehicle, or risk the destruction of your credit rating, then pay the parking ticket! It would save you a LOT of problems.

Carl

smorr

I'm a CA resident, and I'm planning on ignoring a very expensive parking ticket I just received here because I'm moving to New Jersey at the end of the summer & I'll be a resident there for at least three years.

Question #1: will i have any problem registering my car (the one cited) in NJ?
Question #2: will i have any problem getting a NJ driver's license?
Question #3: will i have any problem registering my wife's car in NJ? (the back of my ticket says it "constitutes a lien on ANY vehicle you own")
Question #4: will my wife have any problem getting a NJ driver's license?
Question #5: if CA still comes after me in NJ (even via NJ DOT) is that any cause for alarm? (i.e., will i get arrested? etc.)
Question #6: i will be visiting CA on business during my three years away, but driving rental cars. am i safe if i'm carrying a NJ license?
Question #7: assuming i'm able to wait this thing out, how long before the ticket is wiped from the books in CA?

My response: Yes to questions 1, 2 & 3.
No to question 4
Yes to questions 5 & 6
Question 7: There is no Statute of
Limitations on tickets.

Registries are using methods now to track down old bills, delinquent tax payers, delinquent dads, etc. You won't be immune to this. If you get stopped in CA, there's a good chance they'll run your name - if the system is sophisticated, you'll be discovered and arrested.

So, how long are you planning to be on the run?

CdwJava

Being delinquent on a parking ticket in CA will not result in arrest ... only the potential revocation of the vehicle's registration and a lien being placed on the vehicle. He could also suffer a collections account being opened against him thus damaging his credit rating and potentially opening him up to civil action in court.

And I have never heard of CA revoking a driver's license for unpaid parking tickets on one of their vehicles. But, it might be permitted - I just have never come across it.

Carl

smorr

Geeze - then I'm moving to California! In Massachusetts, your license gets revoked if you don't pay parking tickets and their added fees, fines, etc. Your name goes into the registry of motor vehicles as well, so if you get pulled over, your car will get impounded or they put 'the boot' on it and it goes nowhere until the tickets are paid. I'm not sure that you'd get arrested for not paying, but if you continued to drive after having your license revoked... well, that goes without saying.

jschmoe

Reviving an old thread...

I'm in a similar situation. My car was registered in a non-CA state, and I moved to CA for one year, before moving away to a third state. I never changed the registration while I was living in CA, so it has never been registered in CA, and my car is now registered in the new state I am living in. I received one parking ticket I knew of while living in San Francisco, and actually was able to fight it and have it removed. Since moving to my new state, I recently received a letter stating that there are two outstanding unpaid parking tickets, that have now been moved to a collection agency. This is over six months from the date of the original tickets (total price per ticket is now $100), and is the first I have ever known about any other tickets than the one I fought. Had I received parking tickets at the time of the recorded violations, I would have paid them right away if I had no recourse to fight them. But now, in my current situation, I'm really hard pressed to do anything about this, particularly when I don't know if I even truly deserved them or why I never received them previously. After reading on other websites about California parking laws, it doesn't sound like I wouldn't have any way to fight this after the initial 21 days have passed, and after so much time passing, I have no idea what happened on those days anyway. There is a possibilty I may visit CA at any time, and may even move back there in 6 years. At that time, however, I would likely no longer have the same vehicle.

Do I have any recourse in this situation?
Any possibility of knocking the fine down to the original parking fee?
How does the collection process work? Since I'm working with an agency rather than the government, can the fine be negotiated?
And if my vehicle was never registered in CA, and I will no longer have this vehicle if I move back, what consequences do I realistically face by not paying the fines?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">