• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video for School 5th Grade

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

starzz413

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas
My question is I work for an elementary school and we have a video made every year of the 5th gr. students who are graduating to 6th grade. We have them put in a slide show. We usually put the slide show to music. This video is shown during the graduation. Many parents have asked about getting a copy of the video. Legally is there a way to copy the video for them. I'm worried because of the music. All of the music that is put on the video for the slide show is acquired legally, but, I don't know about copying it for the parents.

K

krispenstpeter

Whether or not the music is acquired legally isn't the point. It matters not if you purchase the music at the local music store or Wal-Mart. You are only allowed personal use.

If you sell the video with accompanying music, you MUST either pay BMI and/or ASCAP licensing fees or receive a release from the copyright holder.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

It's not much fun, but you can still sell the video portion of the tape to the parents. When you're duplicating the tape, just unplug the audio wire from the back of the VCR.

IAAL

K

krispenstpeter

Or hold a competition at the high school asking for original compositions for a 20% split of the proceeds of the sales of the tape.

You'd be surprised at the results.

S

starzz413

What about using Royalty Free music

Could royalty free music be used on the video?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">