• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage Possesion of Alcohol

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pedro640

What is the name of your state?Okay, here is the situation. I was standing in the Parking lot tailgaiting for a Jimmy Buffet concert and I was holding a wendy's cup that hard margarita in it. Two undercovers came up and got me and wrote me a citation for underage possesion of alcohol. I have been getting different advice on how to handle the situation. I would like to spend the least amount of money on this and make sure it does not get put on my record. Should i get a lawyer, what should I plead. This is my first offense so I don't really know how to handle the situation. This was in Columbus Ohio, and I live in Pittsburgh PA, but go to school at Ohio State(the information of me going to school there was left off my citation if that means anything). However, school is just about to end so if I have to do community service is there any way to get it pushed back to when school starts up again or even somehow get it moved to Pittsburgh. Any Advice on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

CdwJava

Chances are this is a very low level citation and will result in a fine only - unless you have other violations. You might have to attend alcohol classes of some kind, but that's iffy. You really won't know much of anything until you go to court. At that time you can ask the court about the possible consequences.

As for it going on your "record", that's hard to say. There will definitely be a local record of it under any circumstance. Whether there is a state record of the arrest or not will depend on the laws in the state of issuance. Unless you are fingerprinted (i.e. 'booked') I doubt that it will go on any state criminal offender record ... but, you never know.

Carl

P

Pedro640

Also, could the judge take the context of the situation into account...it was my first and only drink, i am not much of a drinker, and it was just a margarita at a jimmy buffett concert, and i wasnt drunk or causing any problems

M

mipwtf

The judge probably won't care about the context unless you take it to trial, which would be silly since you admitted to drinking in front of the cop. Chances are you will be offered a plea since nobody really wants to take up the courts time with justice or anything anymore, and most likely you will have to pay court costs, take an alcohol class or do community service, and they might dismiss your charge in a year or so for good behavior. Fee's probably around, I dunno, $250-$500. Don't worry too much about it, it really is a minor charge (although I know it still sucks!) and you will very possibly get it dismissed for good behavior. Just don't do it again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">