• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopping payment on a check?!?!?!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Broken

What is the name of your state? IL

Quick summary: Since the judge ordered me to pay child support to my wife, I told my wife that I am going to have to give up a lot of my time with my kids to work more so that I can survive. She said that she didn't want me to have to give up time with the kids, so she agreed to write me a check back for the child support. So... me, like an idiot, believed her, and didn't work any extra, had the kids, didn't make her find a babysitter. Today she calls me and tells me to go ahead and deposit the check she wrote me (had $2 left in checking). So, I did. I deposited it, and kept out $20 for gas & food. I went and got some food, and no sooner do I leave, she calls me and tells me her lawyer is stopping payment on the check. At this point, the food I had eaten felt like it was about to make a reappearance.

This means, things in my account are going to start bouncing. Can she do this? Isn't it against the law to write someone a check, and then go back on it like that? I feel like I was just kicked in the throat... can someone please offer some help?

Thanks in advance!

momofrose

Why would her lawyer even know about it unless she told him/her? How could someone (who is not on the account) out a stop payment on a check..I think she is using her lawyer as a scapegoat, she re-thought her offer and decided against it.

The only thing you can dois take her to small claims court for the stop payment and any bank fees..other than that. I think you are sol...sorry.

Broken

Yes, she fessed up today. She is the one who stopped the payment on the check, not her attorney. Nice of her to go back on it after I'm already SOL. Why do divorces have to be so ugly...

momofrose

Look at the Bright side...now you know...and you really should consider taking her to small claims court..she broke a legal agreement with you and the check acts as a signed contract.

Good luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">