• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bifurcation in California.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sfmacintosh

What is the name of your state? California.

I have a long history of attempting to get divorced, starting in 2002. My ex was the petitioner, but didn't finish filing with the court. So I had to complete the process as the responder. My paralegal told me that I would have to wait another 6 months if I were to repetition the dissolution. So instead, I bifurcated.

I went ahead and filed my response, served her, and yesterday was my court hearing. The judge granted the bifurcation, but said "all other matters pertaining to the dissolution would be handled at a later time".

What does this mean? We have no assets, no children, and neither of us made any claims to anything. Does this require anything further from me to complete the dissolution of marriage? I just need a divorce decree, and I feel like my paralegal isn't really sure in this instance.

Jared.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">