• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor cut down my trees...what are my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm447

What is the name of your state?MA
About 18 months ago, my neighbor cleared an area of trees between our properties to make a storage area for his Backhoe. He cut down approximately 15-20 pine
trees in doing so. I was under the impression that it was his property and, although the clearing destroyed some significance privacy between our properties
and introduced a mechanical eyesore, it was his right. My wife and I decided that we wanted to put a fence in place to try and minimize the unpleasant view and had our property surveyed. To our surprise it appears that our property line extends further than we thought and our neighbor has cut down our trees and has been storing his backhoe (and other material) on our property. The survey was just performed yesterday and I haven't yet contacted my neighbor with regards to this situation. I would like to know what my options are before proceeding. Thanks in advance.

K

krispenstpeter

Although there's probably nothing you can do about the trees at this point, you CAN inform the neighbor that he needs to move the backhoe from YOUR property as you will be errecting a privacy fence.

If he questions you, show him the survey.

If he does not remove the backhoe, contact an attorney and sue his ass for the trees.

tigger22472

mm447 said:
About 18 months ago, my neighbor cleared an area of trees between our properties to make a storage area for his Backhoe. He cut down approximately 15-20 pine
trees in doing so. I was under the impression that it was his property and, although the clearing destroyed some significance privacy between our properties
and introduced a mechanical eyesore, it was his right. My wife and I decided that we wanted to put a fence in place to try and minimize the unpleasant view and had our property surveyed. To our surprise it appears that our property line extends further than we thought and our neighbor has cut down our trees and has been storing his backhoe (and other material) on our property. The survey was just performed yesterday and I haven't yet contacted my neighbor with regards to this situation. I would like to know what my options are before proceeding. Thanks in advance.

I guess the question is how much of an ass do you want to be? Granted your neighbor probably should of had a survey before tearing down trees, and yes I agree that he should move his stuff off what is your property but you didn't know that was your property until you had a survey done to put a fence up. Personally I would show him the survey, ask him to move his things... if he refuses... then take legal matters, if not.. put up your fense and be done. If you try going for compensation for the trees you just might be causing yourself more problems then you want.

HomeGuru

tigger22472 said:
I guess the question is how much of an ass do you want to be? Granted your neighbor probably should of had a survey before tearing down trees, and yes I agree that he should move his stuff off what is your property but you didn't know that was your property until you had a survey done to put a fence up. Personally I would show him the survey, ask him to move his things... if he refuses... then take legal matters, if not.. put up your fense and be done. If you try going for compensation for the trees you just might be causing yourself more problems then you want.

**A: what's a fense? Are you saying to defense?

K

krispenstpeter

It's souther for Fence...as in de-fense is in de back 40 :D

tigger22472

HomeGuru said:
And was it good for you the first time Tiggie?
Just playing with you.

Obviously not, You know how us women are... if we aren't happy with what we get the first time out we'll trying altering it until we get it JUST THE WAY we want it. :p

&

еberha14

mm447 said:
Please ignore the misinformation you've been given by others. What you could do about this legally is sue for trespass to land and seek damages for destruction of your trees, and whatever other damage was done. So, if you are unable to come to an agreement with your neighbor on this matter, my advice would be to consult with an attorney and ask him about suing for trespass to land. Many attorneys give free consultations. Of course, there are other issues to consider before doing this, like creating anymosity.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">