• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet DOmain TM or CR?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

captainron19

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I just began a website (www.newjerseydining.com) which will entail a searchable database of restaurants who choose to advertise with me. the site was just uploaded but not really in "Full Operation" as of yet. My question is....I own the domain Should I plan on trademarking it? or would a copyright be sufficient?

Thanks in advance
:D

divgradcurl

" own the domain Should I plan on trademarking it?"

It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Since you already own the domain name, nobody can take it from you -- that is, unless you are infringing on someone else's trademark, in which case a trademark of your own probably won't help you!

You could attempt to register a trademark to keep others from using the same or similar name to promote their own restaurant databases -- whether or not it is worth the expense and effort will depend on your business model. A consult with a local trademark attorney, who can review all of the relevant facts of the issue, is probably in order before you make a decision one way or another.

"or would a copyright be sufficient?"

Sufficient for what? As you may already be aware, any creative work is automatically covered under copyright as soon as it is "fixed in a tangible format" -- so, as soon as you generate the HTML, you have a copyright on the work. If you want or need further protections, you can always register the copyright with the US Copyright Office.

However, the protection of copyright is limited to the creative aspects of the website. Depending on what exactly you are trying to protect, a copyright may or may not be sufficient. What exactly are your trying to protect?

C

captainron19

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figured out most of that info on the copyright issue already. As far as the trademark goes I will have to do a little bit more research. The domain in question www.newjerseydining.com is unique you are right. I also purchased www.newjerseydining.net when I bought this one. There are other dining guides online specifically targeted to NJ but they have their own unique names also so I really didnt anticipate any troubles but I just wanted to cover all the bases.

I'd like to thank you also....in a way you personally contributed to this idea of mine. Some time ago I posted a question here about my original concept (www.riverlinestops.com) It was going to entail entertainment / dining stops along the Riverline her in NJ (The Riverline is a light rail system operated by NJ Transit...which is our public transportation system) NJ Transit told me that i could not have the web site because they trademarked the term Riverline. I got assurance form you on this board that they were correct which led me to dissolve that concept and come up with the restaurant guide involving all of NJ rather than just a 36 mile treck of a light rail system so my potential sure has grown.

The new site officially went online this week so we will see how it goes. Wish me luck

Ron

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">