• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tree/Hedge Maintenance vs. Nuisance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justinl

Portland, OR -

My neighbor claims that my laurel trees/hedge is causing moisture on his roof causing it to curl, and is therefore a nuisance, making it my legal resposibility to cut back that which grows into his yard. The laurel was about 35 ft tall (I recently cut it down to about 25 ft), but is more than 3 ft away from his roof, to the west and a little north, and has never made contact with his roof. Is he right? From previous posts here, I keep seeing that it's the legal responsibilty of the property owner to maintain his own yard, including branches growing in from another yard, but I have not been able to find this in city, county, or state code. Where can I find this information? Is this matter city, county, or state governed?

HomeGuru

justinl said:
Portland, OR -

My neighbor claims that my laurel trees/hedge is causing moisture on his roof causing it to curl, and is therefore a nuisance, making it my legal resposibility to cut back that which grows into his yard. The laurel was about 35 ft tall (I recently cut it down to about 25 ft), but is more than 3 ft away from his roof, to the west and a little north, and has never made contact with his roof. Is he right? From previous posts here, I keep seeing that it's the legal responsibilty of the property owner to maintain his own yard, including branches growing in from another yard, but I have not been able to find this in city, county, or state code. Where can I find this information? Is this matter city, county, or state governed?
**A: it is a state law. You can rest on your laurel and tell that lazy ass neighbor to start cutting the branches on his property.

justinl

More Info...

So, looking around, I found the city of Portland's Planning Bureau's List of Nuisance Plants, and wouldn't you know it, laurel is on the list of nuisance plants. the site states (http://www.planning.ci.portland.or.us/lib_plantlist_11.html):

Plants on this list can be removed without environmental or greenway review. Other local, state, or federal laws may still regulate removal of certain plants on this list. These plants may be native, naturalized, or exotic. They are divided into two groups — plants which are considered a nuisance because of their tendency to dominate plant communities, and plants which are considered harmful to humans.

Does this affect who is supported to maintain it?

K

krispenstpeter

No, tell your lazy ass neighbor to trim it hisz own self :D

(I think I heard that somewhere before) :D:D:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">