• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Correct Time Used to Issue Ticket / High Towing Amount ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ebgroskreutz

What is the name of your state? WI

I was parked in a zone where a posted sign permitted parking until 4pm. I arrived at my car by my watch's time of 3:59pm. However, my car was ticketed and towed. The ticket says the time of issue was 4:02pm. My two questions are this...

First, I believe the police officer's device to measure time may be inaccurate. I checked my watch to the Atomic Clock(the standard time measure) on the US Navel Observatory's website and my watch is correct. How would I go about contesting the ticket on grounds of an inaccurate device to determine exactly what time the ticket was issued?

Secondly, the tow charge was $70(in addition to the $40 parking fine). The car was towed ONE BLOCK away and placed in spot with an expired parking meter. $70 seems like a ridiculous amount of money to tow a car one block. Can you fight this amount charged saying that is far above the actual cost for that service?

I know this post may seem anal retentive, but my opinion is that police officers issuing tickets within the 1-2 minute time window when parking becomes illegal is going a bit too far.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

JETX

"First, I believe the police officer's device to measure time may be inaccurate. I checked my watch to the Atomic Clock(the standard time measure) on the US Navel Observatory's website and my watch is correct. How would I go about contesting the ticket on grounds of an inaccurate device to determine exactly what time the ticket was issued?"
*** Simply say, "Your Honor, the officers watch is not correct". Then give the court your 'defense' as stated here. When the court asks, and how can you PROVE that your watch said 3:59, you can say, "Ummmmm..... nevermind".

"Secondly, the tow charge was $70(in addition to the $40 parking fine). The car was towed ONE BLOCK away and placed in spot with an expired parking meter. $70 seems like a ridiculous amount of money to tow a car one block. Can you fight this amount charged saying that is far above the actual cost for that service?"
*** Check with your local 'towing permit' folks. They normally set the amount of the tow fee to be charged.

"I know this post may seem anal retentive, but my opinion is that police officers issuing tickets within the 1-2 minute time window when parking becomes illegal is going a bit too far."
*** Almost as far as someone thinking that there 'nuclear' timepiece defense would work on the court??? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">