• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get information on my father's trust and will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wild_horses

I am in California. I am having trouble getting information about my father's trust and will from the executor of the trust and will..and the probate attorney she is using. How do I get info about what is being done with the trust assets?

Myfather also had a will. The probate attorney said the will is "lodged" not "filed" (what is the difference between the two?), so there will never be a reason to appoint a personal representative because none of his assetts are subject to probate. However, I am named in both the will and trust and I need to find out what is going on with it.

I sent a "request for special notice", but the probate attorney retuned it unsigned because she said nothing can be done with it and there is no case number. Doesn't the executor ( my stepmother) have to report what they do with a trust? Or is she just free to do whatever she wants? How can I get information about what is being done with the trust assets if I don't have a case number? If all is being done outside the court, how do I get information about how the assets are being handled?

Last edited:

K

krispenstpeter

Hire a probate attorney to file for a change of executor.

W

wild_horses

Can you recommend an attorney? I live in San Francisco, and the estate is located near Sacramento. Can I hire an attorney in San Francisco to do this? Or do I have to hire one in the Sacto area? I was previously referred to an attorney in Palo Alto...but I thought he would be too far away from me and from the estate in question. What do you think? I could still call him back.

K

krispenstpeter

It doesn't really matter where the attorney is located as long as it's in California. But finding one close to the action with which you are comfortable would be my first choice.

Also, there is a link at the top of this page to contact attorneys. We are not allowed to recommend here as that would be considered soliciting.

W

wild_horses

Thanks for the information. It will make it much easier to find an attorney if I am not restricted to just one area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">