• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can we collect on verbal agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MSTGCINDY

What is the name of your state?:confused: What is the name of your state? California

My man friend needs some legal advise. He is a mechanic (a very good one) and was a friend and employee of another person. In his time off from work he would go out to the "boss, friends" home and did some pretty extensive remodeling of an old boat. He did this on the weekends (every weekend) for approximately 3 years. The "boss-friend" states to him he would build a shop to conduct his own business in lieu of the work he did to help in the restoration of this boat. He (manfriend) was to operate it for the boss and when it came time for his (boss-friend) children to graduate from high school he would then sell to my manfriend for what he spent to build it and upgrade the property as the city wanted it. The time has come somewhere along the lines he has forgotten what the agreement was. The work done on the boat would have cost anywhere from $30,000.00 to $100,000.00 to have done. The boss-friend has offered the place for $250,000.00 and then again at $350,000.00 and will not allow my manfriend to obtain his own loan through a financial institution. He claimed he sold the property in April and he himself handed my manfriend a 30 day notice to move. He then came back 1 and 1/2 weeks later to tell my manfriend he could stay as long as he wanted for $2,000.00 per month (we even have a month to month agreement for $1500.00 per month). He told us to not pay the rent in April so we could use it for another business site. One week after he told us we could stay he calls for his $2000.00 (rent). My man friend lost anywhere from $5,500.00 to $6,000.00 for the month of April due to the 30 quit (which was whited out by the boss-friend). Manfriend doesn't want him to give him anything he only wants what was agreed upon. The boss-friend claims manfriend misunderstood what the agreement was, but I was there when the conversation took place. I know I didn't misunderstand. Any advise?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">