• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

civil harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

donotkohlme

Can a civil harassment order be extended without going to the court and having a hearing in California? thanks

CdwJava

You mean a 'restraining order'? If so, then the answer is, no. To get an extension of the expiration date requires a judge's approval. It may require something less than a formal hearing initially, but you will have to have one at some point.

Carl

D

donotkohlme

thanks, what I meant was filing the necessary paperwork to extend a restraining order/harassment and just going infront of the judge to have it signed. Or does the petitioner have to go thru the same process as in the original request (i.e., file the form, serve the party and go to hearing)?

CdwJava

I've never personally been involved in an extension, but I imagine its much the same as before. File the paperwork, a judge will review it and might grant a temporary extension - or request a NEW order - then set a court date if a temporary or an extension is granted.

If you call the court they should be able to refer you to the answer for this as it pertains to your court.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">