• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

seperation/divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

robjim3

:confused: What is the name of your state?VA

I had my wife sign a seperation agreement that i printed off a web site and had it notarized and signed by 2 witnesses on each side. it was dated april 1, 2004. She went to an atty after the fact and filed for divorce on the grounds of desertion and adultery. the desertion date was after we signed an agreement to mutually seperate her papers were dated 4-8-04. She did not tell her atty about the seperation agreement. Is this legal?? Please help???

Last edited:

R

robjim3

????

can she file for a fault divorce after we have signed an agreement to mutually seperate???

K

krispenstpeter

Of course she can.

And without knowing the exact contents of the separation agreement, that's the only answer you can get.

R

robjim3

thanks...

it just doesnt make sense to me that she can file for dessertion after she has signed a seperation agreement signed before the date of the alleged dessertion??

K

krispenstpeter

doesn't have to make sense.

Like I said, depending on what the separation agreement stipulates is how it will be viewed by the courts.

Most separation agreements have absolutely nothing to do with divorce. That's why they are called 'separation agreements'.

deal with it and file your response. Include the agreement in your response to counter any claim she makes that is in conflict with what she has already agreed on.

That's simple isn't it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">