• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Underage drinking.....who's liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

portlander

What is the name of your state? This goes for both Washington and Oregon

My friends and I were at a house party last weekend and there were quite a few people there. I'm 23 as well as the people who live at the house (22-24). Everybody was drinking and I know that there were underage people there drinking as well (19-20).

The cops came because of a noise complaint and all the underage people were freakin out that they would get MIP's. While the cops were there I was thinking who would get a "contributing to minors" charge if they handed them out. Would it be the people who lived there? Would it be the people who bought the beer? Or would it be everybody over 21?

Nobody got cited for anything, but needless to say after that, I was thinking about that. I'm in college and often find myself somewhere where there are people underage drinking.

I never worried too much before because I was over 21, and I didn't give anybody beer, but could I be putting myself in danger just being there?

Thank you

K

krispenstpeter

The first problem with your post is that this does NOT apply to both washington and oregon. It ONLY applies to the locality where the party was.

And since you didn't get charged with anything, you are asking a 'what-if' question. We don't do what-if questions.

The simple answer is you have a law library where you go to school. It's time to hit the books (both state's statutes) and find the answer for yourself.

P

portlander

The party was in Oregon. Sure you do "what ifs" But if that's the best "advice" you can give me. Thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">