• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rlperok

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Maryland my cousin passed away 1 month ago and i am named the executor of her will. however, nobody has read the will and her husband doesn't seem to want to get the will out. i would like to read it to find out her wishes and what responsibilities i have. in the mean time, her oldest daughter has stepped in and has taken over all the responsibilities, which i feel is my duty. when i tell him i'll do something, he says let (name) his daughter take care of it. what am i to do? should i insist that i get the will and read it, or do i have the right. nobody seems to know where the will is, i was told, but haven't been asked.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rlperok said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Maryland my cousin passed away 1 month ago and i am named the executor of her will. however, nobody has read the will and her husband doesn't seem to want to get the will out. i would like to read it to find out her wishes and what responsibilities i have. in the mean time, her oldest daughter has stepped in and has taken over all the responsibilities, which i feel is my duty. when i tell him i'll do something, he says let (name) his daughter take care of it. what am i to do? should i insist that i get the will and read it, or do i have the right. nobody seems to know where the will is, i was told, but haven't been asked.

My response:

It doesn't matter what the Will says, or whether her husband will show you the Will.

What matters is that you begin the court process of filing a Probate action, and filing it as if she doesn't have a Will. Then, you can get yourself appointed as the Administrator of the Estate, and then have the court ORDER him to turn the Will over to you.

If you don't do that, or don't have the money to do that, then step aside and let the IMMEDIATE family handle this - - because until a judge gives you the authority, you have NO legal "right" to ask for the Will or anything else.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">