• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ca DL and vehicle registration help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

johnz281994

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi I don't know if anyone can help but I am in a bind and ive been looking every where for the answer. I have a tx drivers license and my vehicle is registered in tx. I am going to college here in Ca and have no intentions on staying here. My place of residence is in Tx and im only going to be here 2 more months. I was told by the police that I am driving without a licence and my car would be impounded because I was suppose to get a Ca DL within 10 days of being here. I am doing nothing other than going to school, I don't have a jab and like I said before in two months im going back to Tx. Do I have to get my vehicle registered in Ca along with a drivers license for 2 months of staying here or does the cop not know what he is talking about?
Can someone point me to the law so I can print it out in case I get stopped again?
My insurence is even in Tx.
Im 21
Thanx for any help

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

johnz281994 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Hi I don't know if anyone can help but I am in a bind and ive been looking every where for the answer. I have a tx drivers license and my vehicle is registered in tx. I am going to college here in Ca and have no intentions on staying here. My place of residence is in Tx and im only going to be here 2 more months. I was told by the police that I am driving without a licence and my car would be impounded because I was suppose to get a Ca DL within 10 days of being here. I am doing nothing other than going to school, I don't have a jab and like I said before in two months im going back to Tx. Do I have to get my vehicle registered in Ca along with a drivers license for 2 months of staying here or does the cop not know what he is talking about?
Can someone point me to the law so I can print it out in case I get stopped again?
My insurence is even in Tx.
Im 21
Thanx for any help

My response:

You will find, very quickly, that California Police Officers are not, and the California Highway Patrol do not hire comedians - - that they know exactly what they're talking about, and they're not kidding around with you. The officer is absolutely correct.

Using Google, search for California Department of Motor Vehicles. You'll easily find the law in this regard. And then, if I were you, I'd head down to the nearest Department of Motor Vehicles and make the necessary changes.

You're treading on very thin ice.

IAAL

CdwJava

Here's the complete code:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=63412019728+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

However, keep in mind that proof of residency can be very slight. You CAN be considered a resident by taking an apartment or sharing a room somewhere. And if you have a job of any kind, you are a resident here. If you have to pay any state income tax, you are also going to be considered a resident. If charged, it will likely fall upon you to somehow show that you are NOT a resident.

Contact your local DMV office. If they grant you an exemption based on your status, get it in writing.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">