• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary won't sign and accounting off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shaylas3

What is the name of your state? California
Hi. My grandmother's estate has been in probate for almost four years now. She had a will and left the bulk of her estate to two out of three daughters. One daughter is not getting much and her daughter has decided not to sign the papers sent to her. Where the big problem comes in, is that the lawyers state that they can't come up with the figures when they do the accounting. The totals are off by a few hundred dollars. They have gone over time and time again and they still can't come up with correct figures. The lawyers keep asking for bank statements, which they are receiving, and they say that it's getting even harder to come up with any correct figures since this has been going on for so long now. They say that can't submit anything to the courts because if the 'books don't balance', then the court will 'throw it out'.
We are told that the only way we can get past this is if my cousin, which is the one that won't sign, would sign that paper.
My mother is going crazy with this and I came here to find some answers before I call the lawyer myself. Is there any time limit as to how long this can go on? What happens if the lawyers can never come up with all the correct figures? Does that mean that probate will never close? It seems to me that if they haven't been able to come up with the correct figures in the past four years, then they never will.
Thank you. Responses are appreciated!

Dandy Don

Do the attorneys know for sure that the amount that is out of balance is only "a few hundred dollars" or is this just what they are saying to prevent a more detailed look at the situation by a knowledgeable outsider? What they are saying doesn't really make sense--they should be advised to hire the services of an accountant or auditor if they can't figure out what is happening. They can't just stall forever by saying that things are out of balance--it raises somewhat of a red flag and let's hope that they are not taking more than they are entitled to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">