• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non custodial parent never married, now wants rights after ten years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

searkie

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My ex boyfriend has been ordered for ten years now to pay support for my daughter. He was never listed on the birth certificate, but now wants to be on it and also wants visitation rights. Do I have to grant this? I have been married for seven years and him for at least eight. He has recently began calling and sending my child stuff in the mail, but has just began paying support after these ten years also. My daughter knows of him, but she doesn't want anything to do with him. She calls my husband her dad, and could care less for her biological father. What should I do?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

searkie said:

My ex boyfriend has been ordered for ten years now to pay support for my daughter. He was never listed on the birth certificate, but now wants to be on it and also wants visitation rights. Do I have to grant this? I have been married for seven years and him for at least eight. He has recently began calling and sending my child stuff in the mail, but has just began paying support after these ten years also. My daughter knows of him, but she doesn't want anything to do with him. She calls my husband her dad, and could care less for her biological father. What should I do?

My response:

Leave the trailer behind, and move to a non-yahoo State - - one where people get married first AND THEN have children.

IAAL

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
searkie said:

You don't get to grant anything. The court does that. And yes, you can expect that the court will grant him visitation. And your daughter will be going to spend time with him, whether she wants to or not. You might want to prepare her for that.

nextwife

Lyle, nothing she wrote provides grounds for supervised visitation. Not having had a previous relationship is not in itself grounds for "supervised" visitation. She never stated he was an abuser/molester/drug user, only that he had not been involved previously.

VeronicaGia

searkie said:

He has always had these rights, he simply chose not to exercise them. Now, he can petition the court and ask the court to order you to comply with any court order giving him visitation and even possibly some type of custody. Once you get the courts involved, you no longer have the right to deny the child the right to both parents. If you petitioned the court for child support, you gave your rights up to the court to determine the childs fate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">