• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Modification/ X self employed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sammied

What is the name of your state? I live in California, I recenlty filed for modification of child support. My ex is saying he only makes 1400.00 a month but just bought a 495,000.00 house. I know he has not submitted all documentation regarding his income, how can I find out more? Also, I need to know the specific law that states he must provide health insurance for our children.

Shay-Pari'e

sammied said:
What is the name of your state? I live in California, I recenlty filed for modification of child support. My ex is saying he only makes 1400.00 a month but just bought a 495,000.00 house. I know he has not submitted all documentation regarding his income, how can I find out more? Also, I need to know the specific law that states he must provide health insurance for our children.

The judge will decide if he has submitted all necessary paper work. When you are at the hearing express to the judge your concern. California has very strict guidelines on this issue.

(QUOTE)Also, I need to know the specific law that states he must provide health insurance for our children. (QUOTE)

That should have been addressed during the divorce.

nextwife

Is he married or living with someone? My husband has a relatively modest income (compared to our Hummer driving neighbors) and he lives in a somewhat pricey home in a very pricey neighborhood. But I bought it and financed it, using my equity in a previous residence, and buying well. The price of the home he's in is NOT reflective of his income.

That's just an FYI, people just assume that people who have expensive homes have big incomes, but, having been in real estate a great many years, I have seen many people with modest incomes able to buy much more house than you'd expect because they were able to get a large downpayment, either from another property, a stock sale, or a gift from parents.

VeronicaGia

sammied said:
CA Family Code 3750 - 3753 discusses this. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=fam&codebody=&hits=20

However, if it isn't in the court order, he doesn't have to do it. And realize that it is typically only employer insurance that is at no or "reasonable" cost.

W

WATCHIT

I am also from California and am in the process of trying to get payment from my son's father. He is also self-employed but that doesn't make him untouchable. I have recently purchased some books and the best one I have found is "Collecting Child Support: 12 Effective Strategies" by Gregory C. Damman, J.D. I just read most of it last night and what I like about it is that it actually tells you how to go about making things happen. I have also found some excellent websites. Is your son's father behind with payments? Because in our case his arrears are close to $5,000 which seems to be the amount needed to try to get his driver's, professional, or recreational licenses revoked. Let me know if you would like to talk more by using the private message section. I am new to this but I think that we may be able to provide each other information. Also, regarding the medical insurance issue, he is supposed to provide medical insurance if it is provided by his employer which I know isn't the case for him because he is self-employed. Also, consider requesting that he include your son in any life insurance policies or wills that he may have. I hope this info helps you.

S

sammied

Sounds great

Sounds great to me, I would love to speak to someone who is going thru the same thing as myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">