• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Email Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kaslyn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

About a week ago, I was searching for property sales online and came across several sites offering free searches. I was able to sign up with one in CA at no obligation, in order to see what was available. I only gave my email address and telephone number for a telephone appointment. It soon became clear that they were not offering what I was looking for. They are sending daily emails on recent news in the business but when I got an email saying that they could be in jepordy of being close down because of information they were going to disclose, I realize they were not credible. The Better Business Bureau has since confirmed that they are not and that they do not respond to complaints.

I clicked on the 'please end email subscriptions' link but I still receive emails. I wrote again to ask them to remove me from their mailing list. Also the tenant in my home told me that she received a call from a man from this firm and when she told him that I would not be there for another month, he was rude and abrupt with her. I do not want to do business with these people but they keep sending these emails.

Do I have any legal right to report them or litigate for not honoring my request to take me off their list? I still receive these emails. What should I do? :mad:

Thanks for your help.

Kaslyn

CdwJava

Its not a violation of criminal law in CA as stated. I usually just ignore them and then the mails stop coming. The problem with a lot of these junk mail sites with a "do not send e-mail" option is that this just says to the spammer that the address HAS a live body attached to it.

My ISP is real good about blocking spam. You may need to get a spam blocker program or a new ISP or this may happen again.

Carl

K

Kaslyn

Thanks

Thank you for your note CdwJava. It is only after looking around this site a little more, I realise that I could have posted this under another forum. Nevertheless you responded and it has helped me understand a little more about American and in this case California rulings on the matter.

In other parts of the world of course, law is different and it helps those of us newly settling here to understand, from kind folk like you. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">