• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandparents rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rmcpherson

What is the name of your state?North Carolina

My ex-daughter-in-law left NC with my only grandchild. She divorced my son with no contact other than divorce papers. I recently discovered that she married a reg. sex offender (she has three little girls) The last report I received was that they were living in Fan Rock, W Va. I am desperate to know if my granddaughter is alright.I already know that she's not in a safe environment. She also has a teenage son that she gave to her ex-mother-in-law. He was in such bad shape that he has been sent to a camp for out of control kids. Her thirteen year old daughter recently had a pregnancy test at the area Social Services. Yes, I'm worried sick. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Amanda is 7 years old and I would give anything to see her or raise her in a loving safe home. Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rmcpherson said:
What is the name of your state?North Carolina

My ex-daughter-in-law left NC with my only grandchild. She divorced my son with no contact other than divorce papers. I recently discovered that she married a reg. sex offender (she has three little girls) The last report I received was that they were living in Fan Rock, W Va. I am desperate to know if my granddaughter is alright.I already know that she's not in a safe environment. She also has a teenage son that she gave to her ex-mother-in-law. He was in such bad shape that he has been sent to a camp for out of control kids. Her thirteen year old daughter recently had a pregnancy test at the area Social Services. Yes, I'm worried sick. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Amanda is 7 years old and I would give anything to see her or raise her in a loving safe home. Thank you

My response:

Advice about what? Simply, there's nothing you can do. The child isn't yours.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

This is not an "emotion" site. For all of your postulations concerning "love", and "caring", and all other emotions, it makes no difference. I deal in THE LAW. The "law" is "emotionless".

If you don't like my responses, it's because the law tells me, and you, that you can't do something - - even though you "love" what you're doing.

IAAL

M

mommadeb

Your Wrong!!!

Minnesota :) I take the information I recieve to try to help in my case. If you would have really read my message you would see your wrong and the law is not alway emotionless!! I have full custody of my grand. Sole legal physical custody. I want you to know that I only wanted you to see that some people persue these cases because they really want to see the children in a better position than they are in. My grand was given to me because my daughter walked out on her to be with a child molester. I fought for her because I love her and because the judge his words by the way said he could see the love and caring this child recieved in my home and that because childprotection said she was in a loving caring and nurturing enviorment I have her and she is in school and getting the help a child with her disabilites needs. I fought not just out of love but because I believe that every child deserves a chance. She will be having surgery July 1 and because I have her it will be someone she loves with her and not a stranger thank you. So believe what you want about me but know this I have the strength to do what ever it takes to make life what it should be for a child who neither parent even pays child support and the county money I get is for her major medical I take care of her other needs. She is a beauty three years old and as cute as they come. I was not being mushy and I know very well that the law does not work for me because I want it to you have to fight very hard to show that you are able to do what they feel needs to be done and even though this is not her child it is her blood and she has the right to care and try to help her daughter and her grandaughter. I never heard her say it was her child. My grand is my grand she has a momma. That doesn't mean that in a time of need when both parents can't care for there child that a grand parent should not step in. Have you ever heard it takes a village to raise a child. We are budding in because we care. Thanks Debbi Ps, by the way I'am not a lawyer so I can only give the message that my persaverance does prevail and that if her grand really would be better taken care of with her that she does have the right to fight for her. Out of her love for her daughter and grand. It worked for me.

Last edited:
F

FosterSan

Your Case

How about your son? Shouldn't he be the one to sue for custody? If it can be proven that the guy is a registered sex offender, then it shouldn't be a problem, unless your son's household is unstable as well.

LdiJ

FosterSan said:
How about your son? Shouldn't he be the one to sue for custody? If it can be proven that the guy is a registered sex offender, then it shouldn't be a problem, unless your son's household is unstable as well.

I agree. Your son is the one who needs to take action. He has more power than you do in this type of situation. However please bear in mind that people can be required to register as sex offenders for cases that are vastly different than you might believe. In some states an 18 year old boy can be convicted of statutory rape for having consensual sex with a 16 year old girl and be required to register as a sex offender. So please don't be terrified that your grandchild is at risk until you know the details of the situation. In some states, a drunk guy who ducks in an alley to pee can be convicted of a sexual offense and be required to register as a sex offender. In California, two teenagers (both minors) who have sex can be convicted of a sex crime and be required to BOTH file as registered sex offenders. Again , please don't automatically panic that your grandchild is in danger until you find out the specifics of his crime.

A good PI can do a background check. It might be worth the money to know for certain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">