• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Drug Screening

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rofountain

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My son was caught with a very small amount of Marijuana on the school bus. The school is demanding that he have monthly drug screenings. I've told them that my health insurance doesn't cover the charge for these screenings. Can they legally demand that I pay for these screenings? I feel that they are the ones requesting them so they should pay for them. Can they legally force him to be screened? He is attending the drug awareness classes they ordered him to go to. They are threatening to expel him from the school if he doesn't have the screenings. He was not smoking on school grounds and he was not under the influence of marijuana while at school. This took place on the school bus after school.

K

krispenstpeter

Of course you don't have to pay for the screenings. And of course they can expel him. Then they can call the police, he'll have a record and he'll have to register for drug diversion AND submit to drug screenings.

Geeez lady, it wasn't like he was smoking the stuff. You are a prize aren't you?

frylover

If MY kid was caught with "a small amount of marijuana" whether or not my insurance would pay for the testing would not matter--I'd make her get a job and pay for it.

CdwJava

Getting caught with the drugs (yes, drugs) on the school bus is the same as being caught with them on campus. Simply being in possession on school grounds (or the bus to or from school) is enough to get him arrested even in MA.

As was mentioned, you do have options. You can choose to fight the administrative conditions thus risking a criminal record AND an expulsion, or, you can go along with the program. Going along with the program would at least help you get some peace of mind that he's staying clean.

If one of my son's had been caught with marijuana!? ... well, screening and testing would be the least of their problems! But then, I believe in swift and certain punishment, and I conform to the rule in my home that the punishment shall greatly exceed the crime.

But that's just me.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">