• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida rules for a business and allowable parking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drivingmecrazy

FLORIDA. I have a situation that involves 3 places of business all located in the same proximity of each other (street corner). There is a veterinarian place, a hardware store and a hair salon/boutique. The vet offers low prices for shots and such so they are constantly swamped with long lines and more importantly too many cars. The vet's patron's quickly use up their 7 or so spots and fill into the hardware store and hair salon. The owners of the hardware store and salon have spoken to the owner of the vet but they were unwilling to do anything. Sometimes the parking is so bad the vet patrons will park down into a residential neighborhood past the hardware store and salon. Just today those cars were ticketed for blocking the road and not allowing city workers through (garbage truck). The salon has gone so far to put up tow away signs but to now avail. The signs are either torn down or cemented over so the signs cannot be used. Is there any legal recourse to try to get the vet to provide more parking? Is it possible to legally have them make appointments to avoid the mad rush of patrons? Are there any zoning violations that they might be violating?

Any advice on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

K

krispenstpeter

Are the parking spaces you're talking about on the street or a private lot and if private lot, who owns the lot?

D

drivingmecrazy

FLORIDA Parking Lots

The Vet which has about 7 spots. Is a private lot owned by the vet. Many times it is not possible for them to park in some of those spots because patrons line up outside the doors before they open so the line runs through the lot. The salon has about 7 diagnol spots that come off the street. To the best of my knowledge those are considered city property. The lot for the hardware store which is the biggest lot is private property. When the patrons of the vet "overflow" the salon and hardware store lots... they park out in a residential street. Many times on both sides of the road making it difficult for traffic to pass. I believe that is why the police handed out citations yesterday.

K

krispenstpeter

I guess that answers your question then doesn't it. If the patrons of one lot parks unauthorized in the lot owned by another then the owner of the second lot can have the cars towed.

If the overflow goes into the stree which is owned by the city, then the ONLYthing that can be done is call the police.

D

drivingmecrazy

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. Are there any laws that state how much parking one's business should have in relation to their traffic? Also, when posting a "Parking for Such and Such business, others will be towed" are there any rules that one must follow as far as, when can you tow violators, how much warning should they be given. What if they try a ruse by going into your business walk around and then go to the vet. Thanks again, for your advice.

K

krispenstpeter

All of your questions can be answered in city ordinances or by calling your local city attorney.

As for the overflow into the city streets and relating it to the 'normal' flow of traffic, no, a city can't regulate that. They can, however, ticket the individuals for public nusiance and illegal parking so continue contacting them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">