• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some insight... never filed a claim before

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sparkle28

What is the name of your state?I am in CA. I have AAA

A few weeks ago, a plastic tube that runs from the faucets underneath the sink to our freezer got a tear from a nail that was holding it in place going under the cabinets... a lot of water seeped underneath the linoleum and now my whole kitchen floor feels very bumpy. the bathroom's floor, which is just on the other side of the wall where those faucets and that tube are, is beginning to form a groove... i never suspected the tube was being held in place by just a nail as it goes under the cabinets because past the cabinets the tube is being held in place with the proper screw in grasps... the nail is tucked under the bottom corner of the cabinet in such a way that it is very difficult to see, only feel... the only way I found out there was even a nail there was by cutting my finger looking for where the water was coming from!

also, I am beginning to notice one of my sheetrock walls in my living room beginning to forms raised cracks. these cracks are getting larger and larger with time. My guess is this is where the tape runs along. The sheetrock itself is relatively new, given that they put it in when they replaced the wall furnace just before we closed three years ago.

I have never filed a claim before ~ does this even warrant a call to my agent? What should I do? What usually happens in the process? Are the previous homeowners liable since it was them who made these installations/repairs? I certainly want to have this fixed as soon as possible as I have small children in the house. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

JETX

"does this even warrant a call to my agent?"
*** If you want to file a claim, the first step is to contact your agent. They will then arrange for an adjuster to come and look at your claim.

"What should I do?"
*** See above.

"What usually happens in the process?"
*** See above.

"Are the previous homeowners liable since it was them who made these installations/repairs?"
*** Probably not. When did you purchase the property??

jhmva

"does this even warrant a call to my agent?"
*** If you want to file a claim, the first step is to contact your agent. They will then arrange for an adjuster to come and look at your claim...

The problem with this is that since it seems like this has been going on "gets worse with time" - this may not be covered under your policy because it wasn't a sudden and accidental water damage...just a leaking pipe that you've noticed damage over time.

It sounds as if there is going to be extensive damage in the walls and floor/subflooring, but be very careful about your timeline if you file a claim. How long have you noticed the damage?

Patben

Call your agent on this.

Yes, you should report the claim to your agent. The insurance company adjuster will determine whether there is coverage or not.

There is so much wording in the policy it is hard to determine exactly what is covered and what is not covered.

At least by filing a claim, you will know whether this is something that will be picked up by insurance or if you will have to pay for it yourself.

This sounds expensive. If there is coverage, then it will help and that is what you buy insurance for.

Hope this helps. Patben

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">