• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advice needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Plasdom

What is the name of your state? MI

I was in an accident as I was approaching a parking lot recently. The other driver ignored a yield sign and hit me on the side. A police officer filed a report and informed me that since it was not on the main road, the other party cannot be ticketed even though his insurance had expired. I made the mistake of not collecting the other party's address. I only have his email address and sent him an estimate of the amount from a body shop. He replied stating that he wanted other estimates so that he could compare. I sent him more estimates and he has stopped replying to the email.

This looks like it will end up in small claims. Problem is that I don't have his address. Also, since the police officer mentioned that his insurance has expired, how do I obtained a letter from the insurance company so that I can sue for more than the $500. I have a copy of the police report and the insurance company listed for him is Geico. Also, is there a way to obtain his address?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Plasdom said:
What is the name of your state? MI

I was in an accident as I was approaching a parking lot recently. The other driver ignored a yield sign and hit me on the side. A police officer filed a report and informed me that since it was not on the main road, the other party cannot be ticketed even though his insurance had expired. I made the mistake of not collecting the other party's address. I only have his email address and sent him an estimate of the amount from a body shop. He replied stating that he wanted other estimates so that he could compare. I sent him more estimates and he has stopped replying to the email.

This looks like it will end up in small claims. Problem is that I don't have his address. Also, since the police officer mentioned that his insurance has expired, how do I obtained a letter from the insurance company so that I can sue for more than the $500. I have a copy of the police report and the insurance company listed for him is Geico. Also, is there a way to obtain his address?

Thanks

My response:

Got his driver's license number, and/or his license plate number?

IAAL

P

Plasdom

IAAL,

I only have his vehicle registration number. After going carefully through the police report, it looks like the information (address, license number) was "whited" out on the copy I was given. Also, he is from SC. That's where the vehicle is registered and he is going to school up here.

P

Plasdom

any help? How do I obtain his address from his plate number?

JETX

Question: Where is YOUR insurance in this situation???
Contact your insurance company and get them involved. They will pay for your damages, less your deductible, and then pursue him if needed.

Question: How much are your damages?? Your post doesn't say, though it does mention $500, it isn't clear if that is the damages or the amount of your deductible.

Your post says his address information was whited out?? Who did that and why?? Have you gone TO the police station and discussed the need for the information with them??

And finally, you may need to contact the SC DMV (with his license plate) and request/purchase his information.
http://www.scdmvonline.com/

P

Plasdom

JETX said:
Question: Where is YOUR insurance in this situation???
Contact your insurance company and get them involved. They will pay for your damages, less your deductible, and then pursue him if needed.

Question: How much are your damages?? Your post doesn't say, though it does mention $500, it isn't clear if that is the damages or the amount of your deductible.

Your post says his address information was whited out?? Who did that and why?? Have you gone TO the police station and discussed the need for the information with them??

And finally, you may need to contact the SC DMV (with his license plate) and request/purchase his information.
http://www.scdmvonline.com/
I already spoke to my insurance company and I don't have collision coverage so they closed the case. I will call the agent again and see what can be done.
The estimate I have been given so far is $600. The $500 I mentioned is the minimum I can sue him for in small claims. Michigan has a no fault policy but permits such suits in the event that the party suing is not more than 50% responsible. I read that if he did not have coverage at the time of the accident I can take him to court for more than the $500 max for accident claims in small claims court. If that is the case then I need a letter from the insurance company (Geico).

Thanks for the link. I will use it if my efforts are not successful

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">