• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do beneficiarys get to see the accounting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ramtek

What is the name of your state? Louisiana :rolleyes:

My wife's Dad died 2 years ago, and one of the older brothers is the executor.
Her dad died while living in Texas, so the executor is dealing with both states in doing the probate since there is assets in each state. She just got a check from the executor for her share in the estate, but did not get any details. My question is.... Does the executer have to make a accounting of the probate to the beneficiaries?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ramtek said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana :rolleyes:

My wife's Dad died 2 years ago, and one of the older brothers is the executor.
Her dad died while living in Texas, so the executor is dealing with both states in doing the probate since there is assets in each state. She just got a check from the executor for her share in the estate, but did not get any details. My question is.... Does the executer have to make a accounting of the probate to the beneficiaries?

My response:

Normally, yes, upon request to the Executor. However, prior to her receipt of the check, did she happen to sign any papers, e.g., a Waiver of Accounting? Besides the check, what papers does your wife have concerning the Estate? Please state the title of each.

IAAL

R

Ramtek

No she didn't sign any papers. The only thing she has received was a copy of the will, a few months after he passed away.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Ramtek said:
No she didn't sign any papers. The only thing she has received was a copy of the will, a few months after he passed away.

My response:

Okay, then she can do one of three things:

1. Send a formal Request for Accounting, by Certified Return Receipt Mail, to the Executor - - giving the Executor 30 days from the date of your request to comply; or,

2. You can obtain copies of the filed accounting from both courts. If you know, or can find the Case Numbers, along with the names of the courts in each State, you can send your Request for copies of the filed accounting from the respective court clerks; or,

3. And this is the difficult choice, you can sue the Executor for an accounting.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">