• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

final costs for default divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

raincloud2004

Hello,

I live in NC and my husband lives in CA. He filed for divorce and we are about to do the final paperwork (default divorce) I agreed on covering all the costs.
But I don't want to give my husband the money, I rather pay the paralegal/laywer to do the final paperwork myself. All he needs to do is take our divorce papers to the Paralegal, most places from what I heard have the Forms and will send the Paperwork straight back to the Court, which would be great since my husband is not very dependable. But at how much more money am I looking at to have him do the final step?
We have no children, no property, no funds, nothing. There is nothing to split. Any information would be great.

raincloud :(

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

raincloud2004 said:
Hello,

I live in NC and my husband lives in CA. He filed for divorce and we are about to do the final paperwork (default divorce) I agreed on covering all the costs.
But I don't want to give my husband the money, I rather pay the paralegal/laywer to do the final paperwork myself. All he needs to do is take our divorce papers to the Paralegal, most places from what I heard have the Forms and will send the Paperwork straight back to the Court, which would be great since my husband is not very dependable. But at how much more money am I looking at to have him do the final step?
We have no children, no property, no funds, nothing. There is nothing to split. Any information would be great.

raincloud :(

My response:

Probably in the neighborhood of a couple hundred dollars. Make some calls to a few paralegal services in California. You can request a free, or very low cost, Yellow Pages from SBC Telephone Company (Formerly, "Pacific Bell"), and look up the information yourself. Or, better yet, most larger Public Libraries have current Yellow Pages for all the States. Try looking there if you have accessibility to a college library. Or, you might try using Internet's "Google" search engine, using "California Paralegal Services" as a start.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">