• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brother Caught shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

X

Xiph

What is the name of your state? CA
Ok, i have a question about what happened to my brother when he was caught shoplifting. While we were in the store, one of his friends asked him to take something, and so he did and got caught. They called the police, and i watched my brother get questioned. He admitted to having attempted to steal, and the person who accused him said that she would let him go, and the sheriff said he was going to call our parents. Now, he is a sophmore in high school, and i am a 7th grader. I was wondering if he would get this on his record? He has good grades and this is the first time he has ever talked to the police, so does anyone know what would happen? It seems like hes not even scared, but i am worried that this will affect him getting into college or getting a job... could anyone help me out here?
(i know he will have a police record, i am wondering if he will recieve a criminal record because of this ?) :confused:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Xiph said:
What is the name of your state? CA
Ok, i have a question about what happened to my brother when he was caught shoplifting. While we were in the store, one of his friends asked him to take something, and so he did and got caught. They called the police, and i watched my brother get questioned. He admitted to having attempted to steal, and the person who accused him said that she would let him go, and the sheriff said he was going to call our parents. Now, he is a sophmore in high school, and i am a 7th grader. I was wondering if he would get this on his record? He has good grades and this is the first time he has ever talked to the police, so does anyone know what would happen? It seems like hes not even scared, but i am worried that this will affect him getting into college or getting a job... could anyone help me out here?
(i know he will have a police record, i am wondering if he will recieve a criminal record because of this ?) :confused:

My response:

Incredibly stupid, wouldn't you agree? As a sophomore in high school, he should certainly know better.

Was he arrested, and given a court date to appear, or was he merely released to his parents?

IAAL

X

Xiph

yes, i do think that my brother was stupid for doing it. he should have known better, even if his 'friends' asked him to. Atleast he doesn't look like he will be doing it any time soon, and he doesn't 'hang out' with those friends anymore. What happened was the police came, and the owner of the store took my brother and the sheriff to the back, where my brother pleaded guilty, and let them see his ID, as well as gave them our home phone to contact our mother. After that, they released him to go back to class (it was during one of his empty periods). I am just wondering if he will get a criminal record, even though the decision was wrong, i'd think everyone was titled to one minor mistake...

i know a police record will be there (because the police came), but if the owner said he was a good kid, and said he wouldn't do anything this time, will that give him a criminal record that could give him problems later in going to college or getting a job?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Please read carefully. You're "dancing around" my questions, and I need a straight answer without your repetitive statements. Just answer my questions - - and here they are once again:

Was he arrested, and given a court date to appear, or was he merely released to his parents?

IAAL

Last edited:
X

Xiph

No, he was not arrested nor given a court date, they released him to return to class. i would guess that would qualify as getting released to parents, because they took my mothers phone number?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Xiph said:
No, he was not arrested nor given a court date, they released him to return to class. i would guess that would qualify as getting released to parents, because they took my mothers phone number?

My response:

Okay, then he won't have a juvenile record. Merely having the police show up to scare him, and to get his information, does not amount to an arrest or a prosecution with penal consequences.

So, he got real lucky this time. He had damn well better make sure he straightens up and flies right.

IAAL

X

Xiph

Thank you, i was really worried. Even though he wasn't scared of the police, i think he'll straighten out with the parents punishments ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">