• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

helpme911

ok I am going try to keep this short and sweet...I am 24 and I had sex with a 17yr old...and I am in the state of Tenn. and she is in the state of Tenn., I just found out that in the state of Tenn. the age of consent is 18..me and her got into a big fight...and she keeps threatens me that she is going to file for statutory rape charges on me...her and her friends call my cell phone at all hours of the night and just hang up....she even has some other guy friends call me and threaten me...her and her friends tell me that I am going to get what I deserve and that I should watch my back....I am really at a loose of what to do...as I am in the military as well...b/c if I report the harassment and the threatening phone calls she is sure to try to press charges on me...I have not talked to her in weeks but I still get the phone calls and emails...I really need help bad...b/c this could really hurt my military career..

L

Lorelei

helpme911 said:
ok I am going try to keep this short and sweet...I am 24
and I had sex with a 17yr old...and I am in the state of Tenn. and she is in the state of Tenn

Response: So being in the same state makes it alright to have sex with a minor?

I am really at a loose of what to do...as I am in the military as well...b/c if I report the harassment and the threatening phone calls she is sure to try to press charges on me...I have not talked to her in weeks but I still get the phone calls and emails...I really need help bad...b/c this could really hurt my military career..

Response: You should of thought about your military career BEFORE you had sex with a child.

Generally I leave responses to the veteran posters here but This time I just HAD to speak out. Krisp and IAAL sorry to step on your turf.

Last edited:
M

Mdmommy9800

And my response to the last responce is if she consented to it how is just his fault???????? That really bugs me, all these young girls getting away with sleeping with these guys but yet its only the guy who gets the blame. GIVE ME A BREAK. Girls today are just as bad. So when you say he should have thought about his military career before he slept with a "child" I say whatever. She also should have thought about it right? Now this poor guy is getting screwed over by some little immature brat. She was old enough to lay down in her eyes with him so guess shes not a child is she? And yes I am a women responding to this post. I am just tired of seeing all these guys get screwed over by these girls. All of you guys look out for these girls today.... they are trouble. And everyone seems to believe its not their little girl, and these guys are horrible horny men. So are your little girls. As for the poster, I hope you get everything worked out and this girl leaves you alone. Its not just your fault she slept with you too with no problem until you all got into a fight and now she wants to use her age against you because shes MAD. Like most women they use whatever they can to hurt you guys. Im sure I will get lovely replys now. But I dont care. Good luck to you.

M

Meursault

And my response to the last responce is if she consented to it how is just his fault????????
Very easy answer.

39-13-506. Statutory rape.
(a) Statutory rape is sexual penetration of a victim by the defendant or of the defendant by the victim when the victim is at least thirteen (13) but less than eighteen (18) years of age and the defendant is at least four (4) years older than the victim.

(b) If the person accused of statutory rape is under eighteen (18) years of age, such a defendant shall be tried as a juvenile and shall not be transferred for trial as an adult.

(c) Statutory rape is a Class E felony.

[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 980, § 4; 1994, ch. 719, § 1.]

M

Mdmommy9800

Doesnt seem to make it right though. I just feel bad for these guys. They get the raw end of the deal. Because most of the time these girls consent to the sex. That was my point. And I understand the law that you just put up, but you know what I am saying is right. I do not agree with rape or forced sex by any means. All I am saying is here is a 17 year old girl who more than likely knew what she was doing and now that she and her man got into a fight, she is now threatening these charges. Using whatever she can to scare him. And it worked. Shes what they call a "WOMEN SCORNED". Now she wants revenge. I just hope she doesnt get it. She just needs to leave him alone. And with the friends calling him on the cell phone hanging up, come on. Like I said "immature brat". Sorry just the way I feel.

M

Meursault

momma, what you or I think personally has absolutely no bearing on this or any other post. Simply put, both parties to the act have responsibilities. Just because the girl did not tell this poster how old she was doesn't alleviate his responsibility to not have sex with a minor.

Wrong or right, it doesn't matter. HE had the choice to keep his pants zipped. HE also had the choice to not have sex with a minor. And HE also had the choice to find alternative methods of pleasing himself.

His choices have nothing whatsoever to do with hers. She did not hold him down and force him into her. Neither did she corerce or trick him into having sex.

The law is there for a very good reason. RESPONSIBILITY. period. NEITHER player in this game had any but now they do.

tcpmp

You'll have to stick it out until she turns 18. Don't have any contact with her or her friends. Cut it off, like coyote arm. Besides what proof does she have against you? Did you have sex with her freinds watching? (that would be cool).

D

Delaroche

Speaking from the point of view of a fellow military member, it sounds like you chose a real train wreck to have sex with. I'm not a lawyer, but personally I don't think her case sounds very compelling, considering that she's choosing to hold the threat of prosecution over your head rather than just reporting you. Start making a record of her call and emails, as they might be useful to your attorney if this goes any further. You might also consider changing your e-mail adress and cell phone number, but only if you're sure that it won't aggravate the situation.

Honestly, she sounds like all bark and no bite.

Next time pick somebody who isn't a psycho.

E

evil-e

Mdmommy9800 said:
And my response to the last responce is if she consented to it how is just his fault???????? That really bugs me, all these young girls getting away with sleeping with these guys but yet its only the guy who gets the blame. GIVE ME A BREAK. Girls today are just as bad. So when you say he should have thought about his military career before he slept with a "child" I say whatever. She also should have thought about it right? Now this poor guy is getting screwed over by some little immature brat. She was old enough to lay down in her eyes with him so guess shes not a child is she? And yes I am a women responding to this post. I am just tired of seeing all these guys get screwed over by these girls. All of you guys look out for these girls today.... they are trouble. And everyone seems to believe its not their little girl, and these guys are horrible horny men. So are your little girls. As for the poster, I hope you get everything worked out and this girl leaves you alone. Its not just your fault she slept with you too with no problem until you all got into a fight and now she wants to use her age against you because shes MAD. Like most women they use whatever they can to hurt you guys. Im sure I will get lovely replys now. But I dont care. Good luck to you.

I agree with you 100%! I am so very tired of young girls doing things like this to men. They are playing a very dangerous game and they know that most of the time they will win. I think that girls that have sex with older men after lying about their age and then turn around and press false rape charges should be prosecuted themselves. It's time to teach these children to not play adult games for people's lively hoods are at stake. Girls should be held to the same standards of guy's. She is just as responsible as the guy.

divgradcurl

The KEY thing to remember about statutory rape is that it is a strict liability crime. What that means is that if the state can prove that the act occured, that's it. It doesn't matter if the older person "thought" the other was old enough, it doesn't matter if one or the other lies, it doesn't matter if one or the other took "reasonable care" or even "extra special care" in trying to determine if they are the proper age or not. None of that matters, not at all. If the sex happened, a crime happened, period.

Girls should be held to the same standards of guy's.
They are. Statutory rape laws are not gender-specific. If an older woman has sex with an underage man, it's statutory rape.

She is just as responsible as the guy.
No, she's not, at least not according to the state. In enacting statutory rape laws, the state determined that people below the age of consent are INCAPABLE of giving legal consent, and therefore are NOT responsible. The state has decided that protecting underage children is more important than the rights of adults to have sex.

You'll have to stick it out until she turns 18. Don't have any contact with her or her friends. Cut it off, like coyote arm. Besides what proof does she have against you? Did you have sex with her freinds watching? (that would be cool).
This is irrelevant. He could "sitck it out" until she was 50, and that wouldn't change the fact that a crime had been comitted.

but personally I don't think her case sounds very compelling, considering that she's choosing to hold the threat of prosecution over your head rather than just reporting you.
None of that matters. Her "case" (actually the prosecuter's case) is simply to prove that sex occured with him while she was underage. That's all she has to prove. Doesn't have to prove intent, reasonableness, mistake, none of that. Only that it happened.

Because most of the time these girls consent to the sex.
If they are underage, it may APPEAR that they have consented, but legally they can't consent. Period. That's why it's called "age of consent."

And my response to the last responce is if she consented to it how is just his fault????????
See above.

Now, before anyone gets all upset over my post, I tend to agree with you. I was in the military myslef, and I saw what happens around military bases, all of these young guys, with some money and freedom, living away from home for the first time, and so on. But the FACT is that the LAW states that statutory rape is a strict liability crime -- you only have to prove that it happened. Anything else is irrelevant. If you disagree with the law, work to change it -- but there is NO defense other than proving it didn't happen. The only way to protect yourself is to keep it zipped up until and unless you can unequivocally verify that she is old enough to consent.

Ummonx

were were just having this discussion in another forum

Here are tennesee instructions for Statitutory rape found on http://www.ageofconsent.com/tennessee.htm

your 7 years older then her, so pretty much your screwed.

Age of Consent --
Tennessee's rule on the age of consent, the age at which a girl (or boy) can legally consent to sexual
relations is unforgiving. Under T.C.A 39-13-506, if an adult has sex with a minor less than 18 years old, and the
adult (anyone older than 18) is at least four years older than the minor, the adult just committed statutory rape, a
Class E felony, carrying up to six years in prison.

VR_Hunter

helpme911 said:
ok I am going try to keep this short and sweet...I am 24 and I had sex with a 17yr old...and I am in the state of Tenn. and she is in the state of Tenn., I just found out that in the state of Tenn. the age of consent is 18..me and her got into a big fight...and she keeps threatens me that she is going to file for statutory rape charges on me...her and her friends call my cell phone at all hours of the night and just hang up....she even has some other guy friends call me and threaten me...her and her friends tell me that I am going to get what I deserve and that I should watch my back....I am really at a loose of what to do...as I am in the military as well...b/c if I report the harassment and the threatening phone calls she is sure to try to press charges on me...I have not talked to her in weeks but I still get the phone calls and emails...I really need help bad...b/c this could really hurt my military career..
You are correct; it WILL hurt your military career if you are charged. It is hard to accept that a 17 year old can't consent, but the law says they can't. Your best bet is to save yourself some hassle. Get a new cell number, get a new email address, do NOT contact her in anyway, stay away from the areas that her friends hang out, and.....I sure hope you DIDN'T bring her on base/post/camp and have sex with her. There are even more problems associated with that.

divgradcurl is correct, heed the post. Remember, the UCMJ has more provisions than just statutory rape. You can be hammered for a multitude of other convictions just because you are military.

F

flames

Ucmj

I am not sure if someone has said this or not...but I am an Active Army member and if I am not mistaken when you signed your contract paperwork and such they went over a little thing about the legal limit for a partner in the US MILITARY is 18 regardless of the situation or what state you are in so I hate to say it but as someone stated before you should have thought about your career beforehand.

well if you do get charged then i would just keep denying it happend. if you havent had sex with her in a while then there will not be any evidence. just her word against yours. tell her that your getting deployed and then change your cell number. I think that she is just trying to scare you. if she was going to do something then she would have done it. she probably doesnt want to tell her parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">