• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about my registration...please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

winman302

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA, but registered in TX...

Alright, go ahead and call me a dummy right off the bat here. I bought my truck in Texas in 2000. I moved to Detroit in 2001 and didn't register it because I never drove it. I drove my wifes car. Last year we moved to Florida, we just had a baby and now I want to drive it. It hasn't been registered since Dallas. I've driven it a couple of times while here. Well, I got paranoid about it and went online and found that you can go to jail for the tag being that expired. 1st, would that happen if I'm driving it? 2nd, how do I get it registered now that's its THAT expired? 3rd, have I broken a law just by it being that expired.

Its driving me crazy, I really didn't think it was that big of a deal, but I guess I was wrong! Please help out and lemme know. Thanks a ton!

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)Well, I got paranoid about it and went online and found that you can go to jail for the tag being that expired. 1st, would that happen if I'm driving it?(QUOTE)

That and much more,especially if you were to get into an accident, God forbid with your child.

If you cannot afford to keep your vehicle registered and carry insurance, then WALK!

Last edited:

Souix

winman302 said:

Alright, go ahead and call me a dummy right off the bat here. I bought my truck in Texas in 2000. I moved to Detroit in 2001 and didn't register it because I never drove it. I drove my wifes car. Last year we moved to Florida, we just had a baby and now I want to drive it. It hasn't been registered since Dallas. I've driven it a couple of times while here. Well, I got paranoid about it and went online and found that you can go to jail for the tag being that expired. 1st, would that happen if I'm driving it? 2nd, how do I get it registered now that's its THAT expired? 3rd, have I broken a law just by it being that expired.

Its driving me crazy, I really didn't think it was that big of a deal, but I guess I was wrong! Please help out and lemme know. Thanks a ton!

***Have you tried calling your local Dept of Motor Vehicles and asking them these questions? I think there may be such a thing as a temporary permit. Why not just register it?***

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)I called the tag office and they said you have to get a form and a police officer has to come out and sign something. Am I over reacting or what?(QUOTE)

The way I take it, he has called.

W

winman302

Yes I called and I said what they told me. I'm not driving it. I just asked what would happen when I try to register it. Will I be in any trouble when the officer comes out to sign the form? I won't be driving it! It'll be in the parking lot. I got two different stories when I called twice about how to go about it is the reason I asked.

Shay-Pari'e

winman302 said:
Yes I called and I said what they told me. I'm not driving it. I just asked what would happen when I try to register it. Will I be in any trouble when the officer comes out to sign the form? I won't be driving it! It'll be in the parking lot. I got two different stories when I called twice about how to go about it is the reason I asked.
(QUOTE)I've driven it a couple of times while here. Well, I got paranoid about it and went online and found that you can go to jail for the tag being that expired. 1st, would that happen if I'm driving it? 2nd, how do I get it registered now that's its THAT expired? 3rd, have I broken a law just by it being that expired.(QUOTE)

Please contact the DMV in your state, because your post is confusing. What do the police want you to sign?

Last edited:
W

winman302

I dunno. One office said there's some form that a cop has to come out and sign about the VIN number. I just want to know if there's anything I could be in trouble for at that moment.

M

Meursault

winman302 said:

The reason the police must come out and sign the vehicle background check form is to determine if the vehicle is stolen. They will copy the vin, run it thorough the DMV in the titled state and determine if the vehicle is either stolen (reported) or otherwise encumbered.

If you have a clear title or bill or sale with the original title then there's nothing to worry about.

What you SHOULD have done, even if not planning on driving the vehicle, is to have registered it non-operative which would have transferred the truck into your name but not as an operative vehicle.

Since you did not do this then the process is a bit different. However, if you have the bill of sale or title in your name, this is not a big deal.

W

winman302

Alright, very good. Thank you for the advice. I like this board. Its very interesting stuff and you guys seem to know what your talking about.

Thanks again.
Keith

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">