• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor listening in on my personal phone calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ejudy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia
I have a neighbor who listens in on my phone calls on her baby monitor in her home. I know she has been listening since she has told other neighbors, who, in turn have told me. This really bothers me to know this and I was wondering whether any laws are being broken by her actions and what I should do to address the issue. I am sure if I confront her, she will deny it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JETX

Sorry, but a baby monitor (usually in the old CB range, 49mHz) cannot intercept wired telephone conversations and most cordless phones (except for the VERY old ones) are immune to them also.
If you are truly concerned that someone may be listening in, get a spread-spectrum digital cordless phone. They are much more secure against eavesdropping.

E

ejudy

Thank You for your advice, I am not sure what kind of monitor my neighbor has, but her house is across the street at the end of a culdesac ( I would say at least 100 yards away from the front of my house if not more) and my phones aren't too old, but in the meantime I'll just use my corded phone when making private calls.

S

Sambo83

I don't know about in VA, but according to 18 Pa.C.S. § 5703. Interception, disclosure or use of wire, electronic or oral communications.

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a person is guilty of a felony of the third degree if he:
1. intentionally intercepts, endeavors to intercept, or procures any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept any wire, electronic or oral communication;
2. intentionally discloses or endeavors to disclose to any other person the contents of any wire, electronic or oral communication, or evidence derived therefrom, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, electronic or oral communication; or
3. intentionally uses or endeavors to use the contents of any wire, electronic or oral communication, or evidence derived therefrom, knowing or having reason to know, that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, electronic or oral communication.

HomeGuru

Sambo83 said:
I don't know about in VA, but according to 18 Pa.C.S. § 5703. Interception, disclosure or use of wire, electronic or oral communications.

Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, a person is guilty of a felony of the third degree if he:
1. intentionally intercepts, endeavors to intercept, or procures any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept any wire, electronic or oral communication;
2. intentionally discloses or endeavors to disclose to any other person the contents of any wire, electronic or oral communication, or evidence derived therefrom, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, electronic or oral communication; or
3. intentionally uses or endeavors to use the contents of any wire, electronic or oral communication, or evidence derived therefrom, knowing or having reason to know, that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, electronic or oral communication.
**A: that's a big help. Next time do not cite unless it benefits the writer and the cite is from the writer's state.

JETX

Yep, 'Sambo' just makes random idiotic posts with little actual benefit other than to prove to all that he is an uneducated imbecile. Hell, in this one, he doesn't even know tha Pennsyvlania is NOT Virginia. :D

S

Sambo83

My point was that it's probably a felony in VA also. I just don't happen to know where to find those laws cuz im from PA

nextwife

Try using a corded phone for about a month. She'll get bored waiting for a signal and give up listening.

I realize this idea is likely as foriegn a concept to a guy (your significant other?) as getting up to change the channels when the remote falls behind the couch, but maybe he'd be willing to be a frontiersman and try using that remnant of the olden days.

JETX

Sambo83 said:
My point was that it's probably a felony in VA also. I just don't happen to know where to find those laws cuz im from PA
Gee, and all this time we thought you were living in a tree in the jungles of Africa......

But what the heck.... your post was STILL useless and had no relevancy to the issue.....

S

Sambo83

As opposed to your post that stated that you don't believe the original poster's claim was impossible? This is what you do: simply mouth off at people rarely offering advice. My post let the OP know that her neighbor's activities are a felony here in PA. Perhaps the original poster can then go and look up the laws of VA, and see if perhaps her neigbor's activities are a felony there also.

Your post had no relevance whatsoever. My post at least gives the OP a modicum of insight to the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

JETX

Sambo83 said:
As opposed to your post that stated that you don't believe the original poster's claim was impossible? This is what you do: simply mouth off at people rarely offering advice.
*** Tell ya' what, Leroy. How about you do a search for all the posts where people have thanked you for your response.... and do one for me. I will bet that I have 10 times yours.... per response. Wanna' bet???

My post let the OP know that her neighbor's activities are a felony here in PA.
*** And exactly what does that mean to the poster who is in VIRGINIA???

Perhaps the original poster can then go and look up the laws of VA, and see if perhaps her neigbor's activities are a felony there also.
*** If your post was to have ANY value, the least you could have done was to do that research yourself. Actually, your post was less then useless... since it provided nothing of value.

Your post had no relevance whatsoever. My post at least gives the OP a modicum of insight to the issue.
*** Please provide ANY relevance that you had in your post.

You should really shut the **** up, as I don't see anything legally relevant in your posts to this thread.
*** Of course, you wouldn't find any legal relevance... since you have NO legal experience or knowledge, you wouldn't recognize it.

Oh, and quit your whining.....

HomeGuru

Sambo83 said:
As opposed to your post that stated that you don't believe the original poster's claim was impossible? This is what you do: simply mouth off at people rarely offering advice. My post let the OP know that her neighbor's activities are a felony here in PA. Perhaps the original poster can then go and look up the laws of VA, and see if perhaps her neigbor's activities are a felony there also.

Your post had no relevance whatsoever. My post at least gives the OP a modicum of insight to the issue. You should really shut the **** up, as I don't see anything legally relevant in your posts to this thread.

**A: Lamebo83 is headed to be 86'ed.

rutica

Sambo was trying to help and i wonder why you both are attacking him.

HomeGuru, you wrote : "Hello, can you hear me? Can you hear me now?" as one of your responses. How helpful is that?? It's not relevant or even funny.

how can you bad mouth Sambo when you write such a response as that? isn't that a bit hypocritical?

at least Sambo's post was relevant and helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">