• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bek_i

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? I live in Texas. I have been married for 19 years. We have two children ages 16 & 13. For years and years I have taken so much crap. My husband is ill tempered, he has never "hit" me, I have been put up against a wall before. He has never "hit" the kids. We have to endure his verbal abuse, and his fits, where he throws things ect... He has had one affair about 10 years ago.
Well, I have reached the end. My son has moved back to our hometown to stay with some friends of mine, and try and finish school. Now that summer is here he doesn't want to come home, because of his Dad. He keeps telling me to come live out there. Our daughter who will soon be 14 constantly tells me we should leave. All three of us think there is something mentally wrong with their Dad. I can't take how he talks to our daughter anymore. I want to get out. But, everything belongs to his dad or him, I have NO family I do have alot of friends. I have found all the divorce papers online and I think he will give me a non contested divorce maybe. But, the house we live in is his dad's, the trucks we have his dad gave him. I am more than willing to move back to our hometown, and our kids are old enough to say where they want to live. We even work for the same company. I feel I have no escape. We have no savings, ect... We screwed up financially several years ago. I just need someone to tell me where to start. Can I leave him and take the truck. It is in his name but, everything is. The truck was given to him last year. So is it marital property? I would like to do all of this while the kids are out of school. I have been with this man since I was 14 years old, I am 36 now, so, I am scared to death. But, I have to put my kids first. Please someone give me guidance. Thanks,
Becky

JETX

I just need someone to tell me where to start.
Start by packing your belongings.... and pretty much anything you want as Texas is a community property state.... what is his is yours.

Can I leave him and take the truck. It is in his name but, everything is. The truck was given to him last year. So is it marital property?
*** Yes. If the truck is in his name... you 'own' half of it.

There are LOTS of support groups out there.... contact them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">