• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolution vs. Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

annie01

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Ohio

I have an attorney who has drafted dissolution papers for me. Pretty cut and dry - 50/50 split on most items - I have full custody and husband has visitation rights, etc. We continue to live in the same household and remain as decent as can be for my two girls.

I want out because I believe my husband is an alcholic and addicted to watching sports (not sure if it's truly an addition to sports but it sure feels that way) and completely isolates himself in both.

Upon returning home last night from looking at purchasing a new home I found him passed out on the coach at 9:30 PM. My girls (8 & 6) were still playing outside alone. They were safe, however, I find this behavior disturbing and I have concerns about visitation and his ability to drive while sober.

All that said, I'm contemplating filing for a divorce vs. standard dissolution so I can put on the divorce that alcoholism is the reason I'm filing. Would the judge know why I'm filing and take that into consideration when he 'approve' our divorce. I have concerns that my husband will drink even more once we're divorced. If he comes to pick them up and is notably drunk I can't let him take them.

To be clear - I'm not perfect and it takes two to make a failed marriage, however, I've tried numersous times to make it work and find myself wanting desparately to move on and be a better role model for my young girls.

Any input would be appreciated.

A

annie01

Input about divorce vs. dissolution. Is there a significant difference between divorce and dissolution? If so, is the difference being that you provide a 'reason' for the divorce vs. just irreconcilable differences?

I have not talked to my attorney about changing the status to 'divorce' and plan to discuss at our meeting next week.

Our meeting next week is to solidfy the dissolution agreement. I'm providing the last set of paperwork (i.e. van title, recent 401 and profit sharing $$, etc.).

Again, I just want to understand the difference between divorce and dissolution and if the diffenent types will help with my current concerns mentioned with intoxication.

stephenk

your hubby's drinking problem should be taken care of in the written terms of visitation with your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">