• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MedPay Slip and fall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Teboos

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I am actually in KY but the accident was in Indiana. I was injured in a restaurant. I was wondering what medpay is and how it applies in a case with the liability being a commercial business. A friend told me that when he was injured on a business property in the past, once his med bills exceeded a certain amount, he immediately received a check for $5000.00. I had never heard of this, but have since learned that others have similar stories.

I had a case filed pro-se, got a lawyer, later found out he can't practice in IN and thus far, nothing much has been done on my case. If med pay exists in these circumstances, I would like to know so I could pursue it while waiting for the rest of the case to unfold.
thanks

stephenk

have you dealt with the insurance company for the restaurant? Have you asked if they have medpay coverage?

Med pay is coverage that pays for a specific amount of medical bills if an injury happens at the covered location - car, boat, house, etc.

What caused the slip and fall?

Teboos

I have not yet asked about the MedPay as I had never heard of it before Friday. I will do so now, or ask their attorney.

The staircase did not have good lighting, which has since been corrected since my fall. When I later looked at the stairs more closely, the stairs were very worn and the tack strips were old. The were not grippy, so when I walked on them my feet flew up in the air and I landed flat on my back.
thanks for the answer.

Is MedPay something that is paid without argument from them or is it a battle getting it?

JETX

Teboos said:
Is MedPay something that is paid without argument from them or is it a battle getting it?
Presumably, since 'MedPay' would be a HUGE victim of fraudulent 'slip and falls' if they paid quickly, I would hope that they make ANY claimant have to 'fight' with proof of injuries, negligence, etc.

Teboos

Well, its been four (4) years since the fall and I have had over $12,500.00 in medical expenses. In addition, when I fell, the manager told me that they would pay the bills, which of course, they never did. I had to file suit, but am having to seek new counsel as my current lawyer just told me that he is not able to practice in the state of the claim.

When I asked about having to battle for it, I asked because I have met others with different injuries and circumstances and once their bills went over the medpay level, they got a check immediately. Since I am now disabled and living off $1000.00 a month for a family of 4, the medpay would help, if I am entitled to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">