• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Third party collecting receivables?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

willingtocope

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Long prelude, sorry. We have a small consulting organization. We ran up a mountain of debt, some securred, most CC and unpaid 941 servicing one major client (and 100 or so smaller ones) and trying to keep employees paid. After tap dancing in court for a year trying to collect from major client, his client declares BK leaving us with a uncollectable debt. We inform employees that we're "ceasing billing" under old company but will start up a new company where they will be employed at the same salaries and benefits. They all have non-compete agreements with old company. Instead, they all resign and go form their own company taking all our other clients with them. They immediately inform all other clients of the "demise of our old company" and that their new company will now service them. Although we had intended to use our personal assets to pay them during the transistion from old company to new, we were relunctant to do this after their announcement.

So, they found an attorney that contacted all old company clients and told them to send any receivables owed to him rather than to us. How can this possibly be legal? What recourse do we have? Obviously, with neither our old company or our new company generating revenue, we have no income. We have also declared personal BK 7 to protect us from personally guranteed debts of old company. So...any action we take would either be pro se, or on contigency. What are our chance of finding an attorney willing to take this on?

JETX

First, your post has a HUGE hole that needs to be explained.....
You said "After tap dancing in court for a year trying to collect from major client, his client declares BK leaving us with a uncollectable debt."
How does your customers client filing bankruptcy leave YOU with an uncollectible debt?? Simply, pursue the debt with your client!!

"We inform employees that we're "ceasing billing" under old company but will start up a new company where they will be employed at the same salaries and benefits."
*** And thereby committing creditor fraud.....
Also, the 'new' company has no rights to recover debts owed to the 'old' company... unless the new company purchases the old. That would make the new company liable for the old company debts, unless they are specifically excluded from the purchase. And that 'conduct' would likely allow the creditors to pursue legal action to make the officers/directors of the old company (presumably YOU), personally liable for those debts due to a 'fraudulent conveyence'.

"They all have non-compete agreements with old company. Instead, they all resign and go form their own company taking all our other clients with them."
*** Sounds fair to me. The person who tried to screw them.... gets screwed themselve. I just love it when the 'plan' works against the cheats.

"They immediately inform all other clients of the "demise of our old company" and that their new company will now service them."
*** Yep, on the 'demise' of their old employer, the 'do not competes' died.

"Although we had intended to use our personal assets to pay them during the transistion from old company to new, we were relunctant to do this after their announcement."
*** Reluctance has nothing to do with it. Simply, their old employer owes them for the work that they performed, up to the day (hour?) that they performed it. And if that 'employer' doesn't pay them.... they will likely have the state DOL on their ass. The state has far more 'teeth' to pursue the 'fraudulent' employer than the creditors!! Oh, and lets not forget the good old IRS as to any unpaid taxes, etc.

"So, they found an attorney that contacted all old company clients and told them to send any receivables owed to him rather than to us. How can this possibly be legal?"
*** See above. Seriously, though, if it happened as you describe (unlikely) the attorney may have been out of line if he doesn't have a judgment against you. If there is a judgment, then it is fairly simple to intercept accounts receivables.

"What recourse do we have?"
*** See an attorney. He will LOVE to get into this one.

"Obviously, with neither our old company or our new company generating revenue, we have no income."
*** That didn't seem to bother you when you decided to bail on your creditors.... who now have no income to pay THEIR employees!!

"We have also declared personal BK 7 to protect us from personally guranteed debts of old company. So...any action we take would either be pro se, or on contigency."
*** And with any luck, all of your creditors will realize your likely fraud and contact the trustee with their information.

"What are our chance of finding an attorney willing to take this on?"
*** I would say pretty likely. In fact it founds like your former employees have already found one..... unless you meant to represent you!!
For that, I would say VERY unlikely with your bankruptcy.

Damn, I just love it when the 'screwers' become 'screwees'!!

W

willingtocope

Gee, thanks for the sympathy.

Jetx...in an effort to get to the heart of the matter, I condensed the story significantly, but, apparently in doing so, may have left out a thing or two. So,...

1. I said "After tap dancing in court for a year trying to collect from major client, his client declares BK leaving us with a uncollectable debt." Here's the details: We, as a computer consulting company and at the urging of one of our employees, decided to help a small LLC composed of computer newbies build and operate a web site for members of their "group"...all 3.6 million of them. The deal was we'd do the technical work...they'd provide the content...we'd do the operation. We'd charge the partnership at cost, and then after our costs were paid, split the profits with them 50-50. After three iterations of the web site...with them NOT providing any content...we negotiated a contract between them and a major ISP to rebrand the ISP's services under the group's name. The partnership was to get $4.95 per month per subscriber. Two days after they signed with the ISP, they canceled our contract...at the urging of the ISP and two of our employees who felt that we were spending too much time on this and not enough on moving the company in a new direction. One of the employees quit, but the other continued working for us and I didn't find out until last month what part he actually played in the whole thing. We did have the foresight to include a clause in contract that said either party could cancel, but if operation was to continue the canceler would have to buy out the other for "fair market value", as determined by an arbitrator. Our lawyers recommended waiting until they had a chance to operate for awhile until we invoked the arbitration clause. We waited a year...their new partner did nothing, they provided no content, so nothing was happening other than our debt mounting. We invoked the arbitration clause. We had to sue them to get them to abide by that clause. They claimed "no income" so our plan was to sue the ISP and the ex-employee for tortious interference by "stealing" our customer...two weeks before our court date, the ISP declared bankruptcy...CoreComm, you heard of them? So...we're out $200,000 with no hope of collecting.

2. Our old company has (its still in business) three types of debt...secured, 941, and unsecured. We have enough money in uncollected receivables to pay all three....however, as I said, $200,000 of that appears to be uncollectable. Another $50,000 is tied up with the Owens Corning bankruptcy...we'll be lucky to see $10,000. That's been dragging on for 4 years now, and no end is in site. That leaves us with enough "collectible" receivables that we could have chosen between paying our employees their last pays, or paying our secured creditors (who carry mortgages on our house). Although it was obvious that our company was insolvent, we did not declare corporate bankruptcy. By NOT BKing the company, we felt we would have better control over how the collectable receivables were spent. Under a BK, the trustee would have paid secured creditors first, and there would have been nothing left for our employees. Had our employees stayed with us, we would have paid them and attempted to work out a deal with the secured creditors. Since our employees resigned, we felt dealing with the secured creditors may have priority. Had they stayed with us as we transitioned into the new company, we would have taken care of their salaries and benefits...I don't see how that "screws" them.

3. The old company is NOT out of business. The departing employees had no right to inform clients that it is. Their employment contracts are still in force. Contracts with existing clients are still in force, and by telling clients that the old company is out of business and taking over servicing them with a new company (which I find they actually formed a year ago) our ex-employees are guilty of tortious interference with our old company. I have some evidence that says that they have actually working to cause the "demise" of our old company under the assumption that would releive them of obligations under their employement contracts.

4. I said, "So, they found an attorney that contacted all old company clients and told them to send any receivables owed to him rather than to us. How can this possibly be legal?" There has been no judgement rendered...it hasn't even been to court...there haven't even been any court papers filed. Their attorney simply sent old company clients a letter saying pay him.

5. "What recourse do we have?"
*** See an attorney. He will LOVE to get into this one.
Yeah, right...if you have money to waive at them.

6. "Obviously, with neither our old company or our new company generating revenue, we have no income."
*** That didn't seem to bother you when you decided to bail on your creditors.... who now have no income to pay THEIR employees!!
I am not trying to excuse this...we screwed up, trusted the wrong people, bet our business on shaky premises and got burned. However, had we BK'd the company, like our two major customers did, our creditors would have been in exactly the same position they're in now. Unsecured and therefore unpaid. Did CoreComm or Owens Corning "defraud" their creditors? I'm not sure I see the real distinction between a BK 11, which screws the unsecured creditors, and a let our old company die, and start a new one.

7. "We have also declared personal BK 7 to protect us from personally guranteed debts of old company. So...any action we take would either be pro se, or on contigency."
*** And with any luck, all of your creditors will realize your likely fraud and contact the trustee with their information.
We listed all our creditors...both personal and business...in our BK filing. They have been informed, and none chose to respond.

8. "What are our chance of finding an attorney willing to take this on?"
*** I would say pretty likely. In fact it founds like your former employees have already found one..... unless you meant to represent you!!
For that, I would say VERY unlikely with your bankruptcy.
Damn, I just love it when the 'screwers' become 'screwees'!!
...RIGHT...thanks for your helpful advice.

W

willingtocope

And, I forgot to mention...

I forgot to point out that ALL of our unsecured debt is with credit card companys....you know the one that have laid off all their american workers so that they can get the same work done cheaper (but not better) by off shore workers. If we're screwing anyone there, its the executives that will only get 70% of their bonus this year...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">