• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

45 Dollar parking ticket in LA, I don't live there.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DCCC

I live in Kentucky but I was in LA last week and got a 45 Dollar (non-moving) parking violation ticket.My car had been parked there for about 5 minutes!

.... (parking on a street that was being "cleaned" that day.....by the way, it was Never cleaned! I know because my friends apt. was right on that street and we were there all that day!

I was in a rental car and will probably won't be back out there real soon.

Will they come and get me? Can Calif. suspend my Ky. license or screw with my insurance?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

racer72

Will they come and get me?
No.

Can Calif. suspend my Ky. license
Yes. Do a Google search of States Driver's License Compact or Non-Resident Violator Compact. But it could take a while. If you don't pay the ticket, the registered owner (the car rental company) will be dinged for the unpaid ticket. And of course, they aren't going to pay it. They will turn over your name and DL number as the operator of the vehicle. Or they may just go ahead and pay the ticket then ding you on your credit card for the fine and any handling fees. Read the small print on the rental agreement.

screw with my insurance?
Highly unlikely.

CdwJava

Well, in CA we don't tend to go after the registered owner of the vehicle on parking tickets. What tends to happen is that it may go to civil collections. That could mean that your $45 parking ticket may end up as a lien on your vehicle registration, AND/OR a civil penalty of over $250 - not to mention an open collections account on your credit history.

$45 is a small price to pay to avoid what could be a long term Hell.

Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">