• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tax Offset payment for Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IceMountain

What is the name of your state? Iowa

At the end of the year I was behind on my child support so I have a Federal and State tax offset. State tax has been intercepted and paid to my ex.

My wife filed an injured spouse form so she would get her share of the tax refund. We received her portion of the tax refund about a month ago which we used to pay the retainer for my lawyer for the visitation mod.

I checked the status of my child support payments online yesterday and seen that the fed tax has come through... with only one glitch... they have the payment date set for October? WTF????

How can they keep it until October?

I received a letter from CSRU on Friday. It said the money had been intercepted and if I wanted to appeal it I had 15 days. I was going to call on Tuesday and tell them to push it through because it will finally bring me up to date.

Now what do I do? I'm currently on a payment plan of paying an extra $100 a month on my child support. If they wait until October I will be ahead by $600 by the time they process the payment!!

I need this payment to go through now. I was looking forward to having the extra $100 a month during my summer visitation with my son.

I can't call CSRU until tomorrow.

Any advice?

VeronicaGia

By law, they have to hold the payment for six months to see if an injured spouse form will be filed. You may want to contact them, tell them an injured spouse form was already filed, provide proof if necessary, and tell them to remove the hold from the money.

I

IceMountain

Offset Payment

I contacted CS. The payment is credited to my account, but she will not receive it until October. They can't release the hold. By law they have to hold it 'just in case'. It doesn't matter that the rest of the refund has been paid. I guess they can come back on it for other reasons. My payment plan is canceled immediately. They are faxing the info to my employer.

Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">