• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stakes or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

The property I am purchasing had a survey done 3 months ago and my attorney tells me he should be able to use it (via an affadavit or something) and it will save me 500-600 dollars. I asked if I should have the land staked/marked and he said it was up to me but because there are no encroachments shown on the survey or that are visual (via me) and the land lines are straight, he would not do it and save the expense.
I understand his point but visiting the house the other day it looks like there is a garden the neighbor is maintaning (I say that becuase the home I am buying has been vacant for 3 months) and it is clearly (at least 15 feet) on my prospective property.

I think i am going to have it staked/marked. makes sense?

Thanks

Site

jimmler

sitedrifter said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

The property I am purchasing had a survey done 3 months ago and my attorney tells me he should be able to use it (via an affadavit or something) and it will save me 500-600 dollars. I asked if I should have the land staked/marked and he said it was up to me but because there are no encroachments shown on the survey or that are visual (via me) and the land lines are straight, he would not do it and save the expense.
I understand his point but visiting the house the other day it looks like there is a garden the neighbor is maintaning (I say that becuase the home I am buying has been vacant for 3 months) and it is clearly (at least 15 feet) on my prospective property.

I think i am going to have it staked/marked. makes sense?

Thanks

Site

It is a really good idea to have the property lines staked out by a licensed surveyor in your state BEFORE you purchase it, then you know exactly what you are getting for your money. When you make an investment in property, having a boundary survey performed will show you what you will own. I would not invest in property and spend the amount of money to buy it without having it surveyed, the survey cost is usually less than the realtors commission. Otherwise, how do you know what you are buying?

Also, if you can contact the surveyor that did the previous work, they should be able to give you a better rate than a new surveyor that has never been to the site (because they have already done the research and background work).

I am not a lawyer, I have been in surveying for 15 years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">