• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A/C unit sits right on top of the property line?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slappy_joe

What is the name of your state?There is a 5-foot standard setback for neighboring side homes to the property line. My neighbor's home meets this 5-foot setback. So does my home. However, my neighbor has an A/C unit (that sits on a concrete foundation) that takes up a good 4-5 feet -- this effectively puts the A/C unit up to the property line.

My question: Since the A/C unit on concrete is a pretty permanent structure, shouldn't the 5-foot setback apply here as well? FYI, I reside in Central Texas.

M

Meursault

And what did your city building inspector say when you called him/her?

S

slappy_joe

not in scope

building inspector says it's not in his scope. did take a look at the city ordinances. they mention "structures" in reference to the 5-foot setback, but no mention of A/C units. any other thoughts?

jimmler

slappy_joe said:
building inspector says it's not in his scope. did take a look at the city ordinances. they mention "structures" in reference to the 5-foot setback, but no mention of A/C units. any other thoughts?
You need to look at the definition of a "structure" in the local zoning ordinance. Usually the definitions are close to the beginning of the ordinance. You could also call your local zoning office and ask them the question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">