• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability & Child Support - Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dsstarkey

What is the name of your state?I live in Florida. I have a 16 year old daughter who I've never received $$ for, raised her myself. I also have an 8 year old special needs daughter. Her father & I initially agreed on $80 a week, later $100 a week, and I had her on the Healthy Kids insurance until a few months back when they bumped her to Medicaid.

In the last 15 months, my entire life has changed. I was injured and ultimately diagnosed with Chronic Myofascial Pain & Fibromyalgia, along with a number of other conditions. I've always worked full time, but when I was hit with very high chronic pain and many other symptoms, I was terminated. I'm at the reconsideration stage in fighting for SSDI and unable to sustain gainful employment.

Currently, my boyfriend is paying all the bills and supporting my kids & myself. He's also paying a lot of medical out of pocket. I went to Social Services last week and got myself & both daughters approved for Medicaid and food stamps to take a little pressure off of him. Also, the little one needs more medical care, as her Tourette's is off the charts the last couple of months.

My x makes a lot of money, but quit paying the measly $100 a week about 2 months back - heard thru the grapevine he wasn't worried about me taking him to court, since I don't have $$ for an attorney now. He also failed to add her to his insurance during the open window, even though he knew she had lost her insurance of 8 years & had promised to finally do his share.

I understand Florida has a chart that determines the amount to be paid, but I don't understand how to apply the chart to my situation. If I let Child Support Enforcement handle the case, I'm not allowed to show the money my boyfriend pays for my bills as any type of income, thereby lowering the total amount considered available to support her. My x makes over $60,000 a year, and is going to school to be an Electrical Engineer. He has no other children under 21.

My questions:

How does my current situation (no personal income) affect the ultimate child support award, if I am still fighting SS?

Can I hire an attorney to take over the Child Support case at the last minute? If so, would it be worth the money?

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Thanks so much,
Darla

W

WATCHIT

It's always good to involve the Child Support Agency to make sure you get payments from him and the money he owes you will be on record. Also, your child may be eligible for lifetime child support payments due to the disability. Try to speak to a family law attorney in your state so that you can get most of your questions answered before you proceed. I went to see one and I paid $40.00 for the initial consultation. If you can't afford that try to find a free legal assistance office.

Going through the court is much faster but you will probably have to pay for the filing fees. Although they might waive this fee for you because of your financial situation. Also, the courts usually have a court facilitator that can help you fill out forms. Just make sure that you involve the CSA.

Whatever you do, don't give up.

nextwife

While our poster DID state that her younger child is special needs (mine is, too), she did not state the child was disabled. May be that is the case, but we were only informed that the CP is disabled. If the child is special needs, that does NOT automatically mean the child would be considered lifetime disabled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">