• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mysterious Parking Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bddiego

What is the name of your state? CA

I live in San Diego and was in Los Angeles for a weekend and stayed in a hotel. I parked on the street late at night between another vehicle and a dumpster(yes a large trash dumpster) in front of me. The next morning I had a ticket. It turns out I was parked in a "taxi zone" at 1:30 AM. Ok, fine it's $30 it was late at night, I was tired and didn't know I was in a "taxi zone". I didn't see a ticket on the dumpster though. :)
Anyways, I'm about ready to pay the fine and along in the mail comes a notice that I have two more tickets which were supposedly issued about 4 hours before around 9:30PM. One is for "No permit" for $25 (which I assume is for permit parking on the street) and the other is "White Zone" $40.
I'm a little confused. How could my vehicle which was in a white taxi zone get all these different tickets? Do people who park in the "permit zone" w/o a permit get white and taxi zone tickets also?
What kind of crazy laws are going on here?

Thanks in advance!

CdwJava

Parking cites can be issued frequently - effectively every time the officer comes around. What's going on is that you got tagged for a variety of different things.

Your best bet might be to check the area where you were parked for the presence of signs or curb marking indicating that a permit was needed, or that you were in a white zone. You may also be able to argue (if its the case) that the white zone and the taxi zone are the same thing so you should only be held liable for one of the cites.

You can contact the number or address on the back of the parking cite and ask about the procedures to contest the violation(s) if you want to. You will likely be allowed to submit a written statement as to why you should not be held liable for some or all of the cites. You may also have to appear before a board or commissioner should you want to contest the issue further or appeal a decision against you.

Unfortunately, it may cost you more in gas and time to fight the $95 in fines than it woul dto just pay it.

Carl

B

bddiego

Thanks Carl.

I'm writing a letter to the city. Yes, I was parked in a taxi zone only. I think taxi zones and white zones are the same thing. They are here in San Diego, so I'm not sure why the fees are different. As for the permit ticket, you needed permit parking on the street, but not on the block that I was parked.
But the taxi/white should override the permit I believe.

Thanks!
Brian

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">