• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Responding to A Law Suit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MichLans

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My husband is being sued. I am guessing that it is small claims court as the amount is $3704 although I am not sure.

There is a Summons attached to the front of the Complaint At Law. The summons says that we need to file a written appearance or a judgement by default may be taken against him. I have until 9:30 am on June 8 to file the response. The person filing the complaint hired an attorney.

Here are my questions:

1) Can I answer this myself and is there are form on this website to guide me though filing the answer?

2) Do I need a lawyer?

3) Should I try contacting their lawyer and see if it can be settled out of court?

Thanks for the assistance

JETX

"1) Can I answer this myself"
*** No. It must be answered by the party named in the suit.... or his attorney.

"and is there are form on this website to guide me though filing the answer?"
*** No.

"2) Do I need a lawyer?"
*** Without knowing ALL the facts, or even the claim being made or what defense might be offered, no one can answer that. I will say though, that based on the other questions you asked, I would recommend that he at least talk with one.

"3) Should I try contacting their lawyer and see if it can be settled out of court?"
*** No. You have NO standing in this. Where is your husband and why is he not handling this??

M

MichLans

undefinedMy husband is capable of handling this, but due to the hours he works he asked me to look into this. Obviously you are not married, or you never do anything for your spouse.

M

Meursault

undefinedMy husband is capable of handling this, but due to the hours he works he asked me to look into this. Obviously you are not married, or you never do anything for your spouse.
And obviously, your parents never taught you about 'biting the hand that feeds you.'

That last comment will cost you any help that others MAY have wasted their time on, probably including Jet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">