• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No ticket issued

• Thread starter WatchingTheDark
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WatchingTheDark

What is the name of your state? MA

I overtook a vehicle on the right hand side - it was unmarked, and not clearly a police vehicel. At the next traffic light, the driver got out, knocked on my window, and advised me that what I had done was a traffic violation which could carry a $100 fine. He was wearing a police badge, but did not write a ticket, ask me for my name or show any ID. I apologized and went on my way. Can I assume that this was a caution and there will be no subsequent follow-up? I am not trying to get out of anything, but just want to know if there is likely to be any further action.

CdwJava

I would assume you would have gotten a citation on the spot if he had wanted to - or, he would have called an on-duty unit over to do it. Its POSSIBLE (but not very probable) that you could get a cite in the mail if he was a cop. But since he never asked your name, I doubt that will happen.

You're lucky.

Carl

G

gerardrj

Was is specifically a police badge, or just a shiny badge LIKE a police badge?

In the states that I've lived in passing on the right is not illegal when there are two or more marked lanes for travel in the same direction. I'm suspicious that the person you interacted with was a "cop wannabe" or impersonator perhaps up to some nefarious scheme.

L

larrysano

I would have subsequently replied that if he doesn't like people passing him on the right, he should get his slow butt out of the left lane.

JETX

And of course you should ignore the post by 'gerardrj' since it has NOTHING to do with the facts you stated.... and gives some 'blah-blah' about your violation not being one where he lives!!! What a useless post.... and waste of bandwidth.

G

gerardrj

JETX said:
And of course you should ignore the post by 'gerardrj' since it has NOTHING to do with the facts you stated.... and gives some 'blah-blah' about your violation not being one where he lives!!! What a useless post.... and waste of bandwidth.
What are you talking about? Perhaps before you start dismissing people's comments, you should do some research.

If you want to see that you can pass on the right in MA, go look up chapter 89 Section Section 2 "Passing vehicle traveling in same direction" in the General Laws of Massachusetts. To summarize: if a roadway has all traffic moving in the same direction, two or more lanes, and the way is clear, you are allowed to pass on the right, just like all the other state's I've lived in. The word "restricted" is applicable here as other laws restrict traffic to traveling in the same direction on the right side of a yellow line.

JETX

Okay, numbnuts, I'll play your 'game'.

Please show me ANYWHERE in the writers post where it even implies that he was passing "when there are two or more marked lanes for travel in the same direction."

And even side-stepping that incorrec assumption on your part, how about your providing ANYTHING to show that a driver in Massachusetts can use the shoulder to pass a car in the lane of traffic.

What is that?? You said, "You can't?". Just as I figured.... your post was "a useless post.... and waste of bandwidth".

G

gerardrj

JETX said:
Okay, numbnuts, I'll play your 'game'.
*Sigh* Grow up.

Please show me ANYWHERE in the writers post where it even implies that he was passing "when there are two or more marked lanes for travel in the same direction."
The OP used the word "overtook". This is significant evidence that both cars were traveling in marked lanes of traffic in the same direction. When one speaks/writes about going around someone via the shoulder they would tend to use verbiage along the lines of "went around" or "passed". People, in general usage, don't tend to say they "overtook" a stationary object.

And even side-stepping that incorrec assumption on your part, how about your providing ANYTHING to show that a driver in Massachusetts can use the shoulder to pass a car in the lane of traffic.
The assumption you reference as incorrect wasn't either, as I've indicated. I think any reasonable person not bent on simply being argumentative would see that. Please show me any evidence (inferred or implied) that leads you to think the driver did operate the vehicle on a shoulder. Your request for information is baseless and I disregard it.

What is that?? You said, "You can't?". Just as I figured.... your post was "a useless post.... and waste of bandwidth".
No... I could. In fact, MA law does allow for drivers to use the shoulder/breakdown lane in certain areas during "rush hour". If the shoulder can be considered a legal lane for through traffic, it would also be considered under the rules for overtaking vehicles on the right. Since the OP doesn't state the location or time of the incident and thinking a shoulder is involved is a tenuous inference at best, I didn't bother to post any information about that.

In any case, my original post stands: in MA passing on the right is not inherently illegal. Passing on the right aside, I have serious doubts that the person who approached the poster was indeed a police officer, or at least not one with jurisdiction at the place of the incident.

JETX

Simply, who gives a crap what you 'believe'. Your post was sophomoric at best.... and your attempts to justify it, even more so.
Trying to play symantics with the word 'overtook'. What a stinking pile of crap!
:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">