• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damaged Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ms_burgess

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? PA
Last year my while visiting PA from TX, son's father borrowed a tape of the first moments of my son's life to have a copy made. He was to return it immediately after copying it in TX. After 2 months, I began asking for the tape during our bi-monthly conversations. I was told, "I haven't made the copy yet"..."it's going to the shop to be copied"..."it's in the shop being copied"excuse after excuse. Now that I have demanded my property be returned I have been informed that his now ex-wife in a fit of jealousy damaged/destroyed the tape. :mad: Can they both be sued? Him for failure to protect my property while in his care and her for vandalism? I contacted the orginal company that made the tape at the hospital my son was born in. The tape was the only one in existence and is irreplaceable. How do I sue, if I can from Pa? Do I have to go to TX to file in small claims court?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ms_burgess said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? PA
Last year my while visiting PA from TX, son's father borrowed a tape of the first moments of my son's life to have a copy made. He was to return it immediately after copying it in TX. After 2 months, I began asking for the tape during our bi-monthly conversations. I was told, "I haven't made the copy yet"..."it's going to the shop to be copied"..."it's in the shop being copied"excuse after excuse. Now that I have demanded my property be returned I have been informed that his now ex-wife in a fit of jealousy damaged/destroyed the tape. :mad: Can they both be sued? Him for failure to protect my property while in his care and her for vandalism? I contacted the orginal company that made the tape at the hospital my son was born in. The tape was the only one in existence and is irreplaceable. How do I sue, if I can from Pa? Do I have to go to TX to file in small claims court?

My response:

It doesn't matter where you file. The problem is, and from a monetary standpoint, the tape has no value. Court's cannot, and will not, place a monetary value on "sentimental" feelings. The court can only award monetary damages, and there is no monetary value.

Lesson learned - - you should never have allowed the original out of your possession, and had a copy made yourself.

IAAL

M

ms_burgess

How can the tape have no monetary value? If it was purchased, it has a monetary value...but thank you I Am Always Liable, your hindsight vision is 20/20 :rolleyes: . What SHOULD have happened and what HAS happened are two different things...which is why, I thought, this website exists...to ask questions and get answers...not smart mouth replies...In the future, keep your replies away from my post.

M

Meursault

Can they both be sued?
You're perfectly correct. What a reply!!! I guess he should be flogged and then drawn and quartered.

O.K. here is what you can legally do.

Sue the *******s both of them. Pay the $35 filing fee, the court costs, costs of travel to Texas including overnight stay (maybe more than one night) and gas expenses and then prove that the people you are suing had possession of this tape.

Once you win you will be able to collect a whopping $5 for replacement of the tape.

Real genuis at work here.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

When you finally come to terms with this, and figure out that I was correct from a legal standpoint, why don't YOU be adult enough to come back and apologize to me?

IAAL

M

ms_burgess

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My further response:

When you finally come to terms with this, and figure out that I was correct from a legal standpoint, why don't YOU be adult enough to come back and apologize to me?

IAAL
Like you were ADULT enough to call me out of my name, and insult me without provocation?...hold your breath while standing on one foot at the top of 2 flights of steps with your eyes closed, your apology will be forthcoming...

M

Meursault

How can the tape have no monetary value? If it was purchased, it has a monetary value...but thank you I Am Always Liable, your hindsight vision is 20/20 . What SHOULD have happened and what HAS happened are two different things...which is why, I thought, this website exists...to ask questions and get answers...not smart mouth replies...In the future, keep your replies away from my post.
You started this game simply because you didn't like the answer. Well, that's too bad. Either accept the Correct legal answer or do as I suggested. Either way you'll recover at most $5 which will be the cost to replace the blank tape.

Hell, you don't even have proof that anything was on the tape. And before you answer, PROOF as in what a court will allow. Not your neighbor's testimony who watched the tape. And even if she did testify, how are you going to prove the tape she saw was the one destroyed?

Lady, drop it or spend more than $1,000 trying to collect IN TEXAS, about $5 :rolleyes:

M

ms_burgess

What I asked for was advice...what I got were opinions, there is no requirement that I like, accept or take either for gospel truth .

Last edited by a moderator:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ms_burgess said:
What I asked for was advice...what I got were opinions, there is no requirement that I like, accept or take either for gospel truth .

My response:

It wasn't "opinion", idiot. My response was based on solid principles of current law.

You don't have to like or accept a damn thing. Go handle this yourself, and you'll find out I was absolutely correct.

IAAL

M

Meursault

ms_burgess said:

No, I am telling you what others will read here. You were told the correct legal opinion based on the Statutes of Texas where any suit would have to be filed. You chose to ignore that legal opinion and attack the person who gave it.

Then, when I told you exactly what you had to do you ignored that also.

Now you get the chance to hire an attorney at $200 or more an hour to tell you the exact same thing.

So, if it's a case of you want to hear what you want to hear and nothing else, go talk to your cat. Otherwise, I'm done with you. You aren't worth the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">