• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intill. Prop.-art of the Charles Morgan-whaling ship-

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flyer1

Minn.& Ct. greetings
A disabled veteran did engravings by hand in steel to make plates of the preserved whaling ship, The Charles W. Morgan . work was done in 1975.
Unaware the name of the Morgan is claimed as intill. property of the Mystic seaport assoc. The name can't be removed, 200 were made at a cost of 2 years work. They aren't worth much, but the Mystic assoc. wont license it.
desperate to make something of, even non profit.. puzzled..
The engraved dies cost 2 years of work..
even if it doesn't sell, would like to try.
can they come and GET this guy ?
thank you kindly.

Last edited:

M

Meursault

Fire up the furnace and melt them down then make bird feeders out of them.

F

flyer1

well that doesn't help much. The cost of this conversion is high...
An engraver's experience may not apply to bird houses. thanks anyway.
I heard there are gray area's in these matters..I wonder if its true.

divgradcurl

I heard there are gray area's in these matters..I wonder if its true.
There are grey areas in EVERYTHING -- but none that are likely to help you or your friend in this case. Simply, the people that restored the ship have certain trademarks, and have had them since the mid-60's. They are not going to "come and get" you friend -- unless he tries to sell the plates, that is, then they just might.

If he really wants to sell the plates, then you have two choices -- one, talk with an attorney who has experience in trademarks, and see if the plates are really infringing on Mystic's trademarks -- if not, then he's clear to sell 'em. Your second choice is to just sell 'em, and see what happens.

F

flyer1

Thank you. Is it hard for the system in Conn. to inforce a problem in Mn.?
I understand its a federal issue. But is this a case of a judgement issued that would be hard to collect ?

divgradcurl

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Has a case already been filed? Decided? Or is he worried about a case in the future?

F

flyer1

Sorry for not being clear. Nothing has been done except approaching the holder of the name. Since they wont get into a license issue, Many other items with the Morgan name on it was brought up. They are aware of that, and its unfortunate that the China free lance- do as you please-imported items dont subscribe to the same standards that we here have to work with.
It has been said there is rampant disregard for patents in the East's Mfg.

Thank you the chance to ask

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">