• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

t9035768

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I received a reckless driving charge a couple months ago and I talked to the state attorney's office about cutting a deal with them. They said that they would look over the file and come back to me on it. I then went in last month, after my first court date (continuance), and they said they would offer me 1 year of court supervision and $150 fine + court costs.

Well, today I had court to accept the offer. I went up there when it was my turn and the SA's assistant said that we had reached an agreement. The the judge asked my age and I responded "17". The state's attorney then said, "Oh, I forgot about that". The judge went on to say that I must have an attorney present even if I would accept the offer because the crime itself could have come with jail time.

I wasn't too happy about having to go back, but I got a copy of the charge they filed against me. At the time of the ticket, the officer said I would be getting a reckless driving ticket because I had made a small child jump from his bicycle to avoid being hit by me. The states attorney said that he would've reduced the ticket to illegal lane usage if it weren't for that. The file states that "said defendant drove said vehicle at an excessive speed at which time the lost control of the vehicle and came in close proximity to a bicyclist as the vehicle left the road.

The thing about this is I know where the bicyclists were when I left the road, and so do the people on the bicycles seeing as they had to turn around to see me go out of control. I'm sure these people aren't happy with what I did so near their house, but I doubt they would actually lie about their proximity to the corner of the street in a court of law. Would it make any difference if I asked a police officer to ask them to show where they were when they saw me and perhaps have him talk to the S.A. And also, because the S.A. didnt mention that I needed a lawyer with me today, and the public defendant was unavalible, I am supposed to go back in about 3 weeks, would it be possible to remove the court costs from today's appearance in court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">